StoreEver Tape Storage
1752782 Members
6225 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Tape drive not recognized

Vince Smith

Tape drive not recognized

I have an external DDS/3 that the drive went bad in. I pulled a drive out of an old system with the same internal part #C1537 and it worked fine. A tape got stuck & a piece of it was left in the drive. I took it apart, got the piece of tape out & started putting it back together. My problem, I don't remember the correct way the wires from the SCSI Id button attach to the drive. I have tried about all combinations, but now my tape drive is not recognized in an ioscan -f. It just says NO-HW on the tape drive path. My question is, in what order do the cables re-attach, and when they are re-attached properly, will that fix the problem of the system not seeing my drive? I have shutdown both the system and the drive and then restarted. System is an L1000 running HP-UX 11.0.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Vince
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Tape drive not recognized

There is a single pin then a missing pin and the ID jumpers are in pairs with the last 2 being for termination. the wires comming from the rotery switch will either be in a complete line header or 3 pairs. I assume they are in three pairs - or you wouldn't be asking. What you have probably done is put the jumpers on upside down - Siameesing them all - since each pair has a common to the switch.
Don't fix what ain't broke!
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
the tape has to be recognized also without any scsi id, by default (wihtout jumpers) is is 0, so if without connecting this cable you didn't found your tape, check for bad connections or bent pin in the internal scsi cable or in the external one

marino
Vince Smith

So far, no suggestions have worked. The one part that I left out, that's what I get for double-checking myself, is the external case #, which is C6365A. This is what the DDS/3 is in, then it installs into a 2u case with a fast/wide connector on the back. I pulled apart a DDS/3 I have that is an external tape drive on a Novell Server. It has a jumper on the 2 termination pins and I did not have to remove any jumpers on my problem drive. Any more thoughts? Thanks for the help so far.

Thanks,

Vince