StoreEver Tape Storage
1752689 Members
5386 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tape drive problems

stanly cherian

Tape drive problems

I have a HP C1537A SCSI internal tape drive of DDS 3. I made a backup of my data on my server last week. This week when I wanted to take backup and inserted the tape, the tape doesnt go in. It seems to be stuck at the entrance.
Any idea what could be the reason for this?
5 REPLIES 5
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

bad tape? Simple to test, try other tapes.
drive powered down?

good luck,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
stanly cherian

i tried to insert new tapes but still the same case. how can the drive be powered down? the system has been the same since last week after i took backup.
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

bad cable connection ;) are any LEDs lit?

powering off & on will reset the drive, for an internal drive this usually means powering off & on the whole server :(

in the whorst scenario the drive is completely gone

regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Its possible the drive has gone offline due to a power glitch or worse a fuse blown.

One quick thing you can try is using the ject button to initiate a reset, press the eject button at least 3 times within a few seconds to do this. You should see the LEDS flash and hear the drive spin its drum etc.

If this doesn't work, try the following steps from the trouble shooting guide.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00057819&locale=en_US#hung

Cheers,

Dave Dewar
stanly cherian

Thanks guys for your help. i restarting the server today and it solved the problem. The tape drive is up and running.

once again thanks