1752780 Members
6235 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Tape drives

yashwant_1
Occasional Contributor

Tape drives

I have 1 LTO2 tape drives of MSL6030 library, and I have updated the firmware of the drive without connecting it to the library, can u please tell me what the harm the drive could have.

Means I want to know that what is the difference if we update the firmware of the drive with library and if we update the firmware of the drive in stand alone.
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Tape drives

How did you do this?

Normally you use LTT, select the library device and the tool will know what firmware has to be used.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi Yaswant,

Actually you should to update firmawre of drive when it is connected with MSL drive from LTT.

Rgds//
Taifur
yashwant_1
Occasional Contributor

Ya I do that using HPL&TT and since i was aware about the latest firmware, so i did it in stand alone condition and after that my seniors told me that it should be not like that, also they gave some of the reason that why we should update the firmware using library, but that was satisfied for me. So I came to post my problem here in this forum so that you can give me the correct reason and what are the things get upgrade when we update the firmware using library. If possible then please tell me the difference between upgrading the firmware in the two different conditions
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Connected to the library, you can be sure to select the correct firmware - that's it.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
MajidNX
Frequent Advisor

Taifur and Yashwant

I doubt if what you guys believe is oorrect coz I have never encountered an issue of updating firmware of tape drives when they are in the library.

What you guys believe is a Myth
I work for HP
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

It doesn't make any difference where the drive is when you put the firmware in. The drive will only accept firmware that matches the already installed firmware and is compatible with the library that the drive belongs to. When you put the drive back in the library then the library will log into the drive and use it as normal.

The information about updating firmware only in the library may be left over from a old version of firmware on some other HP libraries that would report a "firmware mismatch" if the firmware on the drive did not match the firmware that the library expected to find on the drive. In that case the firmware had to be downloaded again so the library knew what firmware to expect.