StoreEver Tape Storage
1753458 Members
4731 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tape not seen as a bootable device under HPUX 11i.

Chris Gersch
Occasional Advisor

Tape not seen as a bootable device under HPUX 11i.

Hello all,
I've a surestore 5300 tape array with a dat40 tape drive and cartridge. I want to make a bootable tape for disaster recovery via the make_recover command. The exact command I am using is:
make_recovery -ACvi -d /dev/rmt/c0t1d0BESTb

Problem is when I go to test the tape - reboot the server, inturrupt the boot, type 'sea ipl' it only sees my two internal hard disks as possible boot devices. When it's searching I can see and hear the tape drive being accessed (ie, hear the tape spinning up and the light blinks) but no joy.
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

It depends entirely on the type of drive and the interface being used, as to whether it is possible. See this link, and the information provided by Bill Hassell.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x158906295e00d6118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Chris Gersch
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Michael,
It's a surestore dat tape drive on a SCSI C896 Fast Wide LVD interface.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

I'd be opening a problem direct with HP to see whether this device is actually supported as a bootable device. You could also check on firmware as well for both your drive and your server.

Good luck
Michael

PS: using the make recovery command. The selection your using is probably a little on the old side. Try this one, it is quite useful for bootable tapes and creates an interactive tape (also bootable)

# make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

Hi
Try using latest version of ignite and use the non-rewinding device for creating the tape.

Thanks.
Prashant.
Take it as it comes.
Chris Gersch
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Gentlemen,
The tape array, drive and server are all brand-spanking new systems, fresh from the factory.
I'll be getting the support agreements off HP today and seeing what they can do - will let you know how it all goes.

In the meantime, even though it says make_recovery is still supported I'll try the make_tape_recovery.

Cheers,
Chris