1752808 Members
6629 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Tape sucked out off cassette into drive

Andy Tyler

Tape sucked out off cassette into drive

Hi,

The tape back-up on one of the my servers has sucked all tape out of one of the media cassettes and ejected the empty case. Any advice on how to respool the tape and minimise the risk of damage to the backup?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Tape sucked out off cassette into drive

Is it DLT or DAT? I think that with DAT there will be no chance, with DLT... maybe it's possible to reattach tape to the tape reel but it will require to disassemble tape. I think the best, reliable and easier way is to replace tape AND drive. Do not seek for cheapest solution. It's always a dilemma between being cheap and reliable
Eugeny
Andy Tyler

Thanks for the prompt response Eugeny,

The drive is an 80gb DLT drive. I'm looking for a solution that will maintain integrity of the data on the tape and provide the quickest remedy (i.e. minimise downtime). My main aim is to get the drive going again so that I can back-up the server again. I can replace the drive at a more convenient time (I wouldn't dare risk using the tape again).

Apart from respooling the tape into the case, is there an quick (& preferably easy) way to get the tape out of the drive?

Thanks,
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

As I know after respooling tape it's in unusable condition. So if you can not get server down to replace parts then arrange LAN backup
Eugeny
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

I've seen a similar problem to this recently. The cartridge was halfway out of the drive, but the tape media was still in use in the drive. The real fun one with this was that the drive was still spinning and had grown so hot it had melted the tape to the heads.

Hopefully, things won't be quite so grim in your case. However, after an incident like this the drive will require service due to the likelihood of lots of bits of ferrous material lying all over its components. If you continue to use this drive without service, then you will probably corrupt any good media which you put in there.

I also reckon you can scrap that tape. If you *really* want data back from it, take it to a data recovery company in the knowledge that it's seriously damaged and the data may not be recoverable anyway. DR companies will be using the same sort of drives, but at least this saves you wrecking a second one of your own...
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.