StoreEver Tape Storage
1751969 Members
4954 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Turbo U.2 Host card does not make my HP LTO-6 Ultrium 6250 visable in my configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
tdelint
Occasional Visitor

Turbo U.2 Host card does not make my HP LTO-6 Ultrium 6250 visable in my configuration

I Try to connect an Internal HP6250 LTO-6 Utrium to my X99S Gaming 7 Moteherboard. The BIOS keep telling me there is no divece present. My only question (to start with) is: "should it work on this board (+Windows 10)?.

If not, then I can stop struggling.

See enclosed pdf for details.

MSI comes with this reply: "Regarding your concern,we are really sorry,but about the P LTO-6 Ultrium 6250,we have not tested it on motherboard before,we can not sure if it can work  on the motherboard.And we don't have much more information about this device,would you please check the Support List of the HP LTO-6 Ultrium 6250  with the HP for a try?if it can be used on normal motherboard?Sorry for any inconvenience caused."

Tijs de Lint

Netherlands

4 REPLIES 4
Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

Re: Turbo U.2 Host card does not make my HP LTO-6 Ultrium 6250 visable in my configuration

Interesting question.  This is the first I have run across attempting to connect a SAS tape drive to U.2.

The U.2 connector is capable of passing several protocols and which are supported depends on the controller behind the connector.  I tried finding information on the MSI card you reference but was unable to find any sort of detailed specifications.  The only information I could find was for using the card to control PCIe disk drives.  The LTO-6 tape drive is SAS only and won't work with controllers unless they support the SAS protocol.

HPE hasn't tested that card with any tape drives so it isn't a supported controller.  Some controllers that aren't test/supported work but I can't tell if this one should or not.  It looks like it may not support SAS devices.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

tdelint
Occasional Visitor

Re: Turbo U.2 Host card does not make my HP LTO-6 Ultrium 6250 visable in my configuration

Thanks Curtis!

I passed your question to MSI. Keep you informed about their answer.

Just in case the U.2 controller does not support the LTO-6 Ultrium 6250, do you suggest an other way to connect this tape drive to my mother board?

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro
Solution

The HPE tape drive team tests a number of LSI SAS controllers with the LTO-6 tape drives.  LSI has changed names a couple of times to Avago and now Broadcom, but the controllers are still the same.  The LSI 9212 is the base tested/supported controller.  Most LSI SAS controllers are similar and will work fine.

There are other SAS controllers that people are using successfully with the HPE LTO tape drives.  ATTO makes a controller. The ATTO H644, H680, and H6F0 controllers are listed as supported on Mac and those worked fine on PC platforms as well last I knew.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

tdelint
Occasional Visitor

MSI replied:

"We consulted the relevant department,we are really sorry,this Turbo U.2 Host card only support the U.2 ssd(Intel SSD 750)."

Well, I should have done a bit more more research, that would have saved me this little problem. Thank you so much for your information for finding the right controller!

I think I can start shopping with your tips and get the tape-streamer running. Considder this topic solved.