1752778 Members
6437 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ** ULTRIUM AUTOLOADER and Veritas **

Michael Gretton
Frequent Advisor

** ULTRIUM AUTOLOADER and Veritas **

I am sure this is a Veritas problem but was hoping that perhaps some of you have a clue as to what is going on. We installed an LTO HP Ultrium Autoloader to one of our servers (an HP CE performed this task but wasn't responsible for making sure it works with veritas). Veritas sees it as a standalone and it labels it "HP ULTRIUM 1-SCSI E23U". I have an autoloader/robot license installed so I know it isn't a licensing problem. Basically my problem is that it doesn't see it as a robot and it can't seem to manipulate the device. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
6 REPLIES 6
Frank Slootweg
Honored Contributor

Did you, manually, configure a device file for the robot?

I do not know if Veritas can do this automatically, but HP-UX does not do this, because it does not know what a robot is, and, at least for the versions I supported, HP's OmniBack backup product also does not do this.

In any case, please post the output of "ioscan -fn -H ..." where "..." is the H/W Path of the *interface* ("INTERFACE" in "H/W Type" field of ioscan output).
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is the device being seen as an autoloader in the ioscan. If not check and see if the "schgr" driver is enabled in the kernel. If this is not enabled, enable this driver in the kernel and reboot the server. You should see the robot in the ioscan. Then receonfigure your veritas backup and you should be able to get the robot in the backup application. Are you using netbackup or what ?.

Hope this helps.

Regds
James Perry
Advisor

Aaron Sheard
Frequent Advisor

i am having a similar problem with 5 lto drives and an L3000 running hpux 11

what is this schgr driver you mention? should i have that installed?

tia, Aaron
"uh, hey... did we get a good backup last night?"
Gerhard Kilian
Occasional Advisor

First of all, I think you are using w2k or something else. If you see the autoloader and the tapedrive it should bei ok in w2k. Otherwhise you have to install the correct drivers. You can do so, wenn you download the latest veritas driver package and install it. Then start veritas and go to the hardware assistant, start it and be sure to mark the checkbox "use veritas drivers". Then restart your server and it should work.
Bob_196
Trusted Contributor

not sure if this is too obvious - but for the LTO Autoloader (I'm asuming it's a 1/8) that you have to designate a seperate SCSI ID for the autoloader and one for the drive