StoreEver Tape Storage
1751887 Members
5059 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium 230 drive is suitable for hp-ux workstation J5600?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Manikandan k
Occasional Advisor

Ultrium 230 drive is suitable for hp-ux workstation J5600?

Hi,
We are going to buy a hp-ux workstation J5600. The expected data to be backed up on this server is 120GB, in future it may grow. I wanted know whether Ultrium 230 drive is suitable for our requirement? If it is suitable whether internal drive can be in fixed in J5600? or if i go for external, do i have to buy a external SCSI card / cable?.
If anyone can give me a suggestion on this will be helpful for me.

Thanks and Regards
Mani
2 REPLIES 2
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Ultrium 230 drive is suitable for hp-ux workstation J5600?

Hi
With such large amount of data the Ultrium drive will be a good choice. There should be no problem using it together with the J5600. I think you must buy an external drive, I dont think there is a place to mount an internal. The J5600 has two external SCSI connectors, Ultra 2 LVD 68 pin and SE 50 pin. It is possible to use the Ultra 2 bus for the tape but as it seems this is used for the internal disks there can be performance reduction. The SE bus can also be used (I think)again perhaps with limited performance. To get the best performance and flexibility you should use a extra Ultra 2 LVD SCSI card for the Ultrium tape.
Manikandan k
Occasional Advisor

Re: Ultrium 230 drive is suitable for hp-ux workstation J5600?

Hi,
Thanks a lot for all info.
You have suggested to have a extra Ultra 2 LVD SCSI card for ultrium drive, can you please look in to this URL and let me know whether this is same as what they have mentioned in external storage heading.
http://www.hp.com/workstations/products/unix/jclass/j5600/specs.html

Thanks
Mani