StoreEver Tape Storage
1753466 Members
4783 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium 460e continuous clean errors

Andrew Chapman_2

Ultrium 460e continuous clean errors

I have dusted off our Ultrium 2 (460e) and attached it to a new HP server with an ULtra320 SCSI HBA, but it keeps warning that it needs cleaning as soon as it starts a job. I run a cleaning tape through it, apparently successfully, but as soon as another job starts it says it needs cleaning again.

I have run the HP tape tools (output attached) on several different tapes, and have also tried the tape drive on a completely different server with a different HBA, but the problem persists.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
goldboy
Trusted Contributor

Re: Ultrium 460e continuous clean errors

did you try a new ultrium media ? the one that ou are using might be old and using it might be causing that.

T
"Life is what you make out of them!"
Andrew Chapman_2

I tried two tapes: a used and a brand new one. I thought it might possibly be the cleaning tape, but they seems to go through its cycle properly and finishes without errors.
goldboy
Trusted Contributor

I get to work with a lot of diffrent tape drives, and I would conclude that your tape head might be currpted.
I would send it to be repaired.
Sorry couldnt be of more help.

T
Andrew Chapman_2

I rang HP support (in India) and was told that HP did not repair the stand alone drives and that I would have to buy a new one! Remarkable.
goldboy
Trusted Contributor

Andrew,
India, USA....they all have lab's that fixes tape drives.
just google for a local electronic lab that fixes tape drives.

T