1753730 Members
4676 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium Autoloader 1/9

SOLVED
Go to solution

Ultrium Autoloader 1/9

I have 2 autoloaders. Both of these randomly undertake loader movements about 30 mins to 1 hour apart. I have never had any apparent operational problems and there are no log entries indicating any fault or any status indication saying what the system is doing (other than the green flashing LED at the time of the movement). I have not been able to find any documentation explaining this characteristic. However it would be really nice to know what is happening. Can anyone help?
4 REPLIES 4
Doug Dale
Solution

This is normal behavior introduced in later firmware versions of this product. The robot will move through its entire range of horizontal motion once an hour to ensure that the robot will work properly in all locations through that range. It is a form of 'self-maintenance'.
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

This occurs to avoid the robot seizing from under use and avoid you having to run the sweep tests to excercise the robot through the full range of motion.

If it's not affecting anything like backups, and only occurs during idle, don't worry about it, it's actually doing your robot some good.

Thanks for the replies. It doesnt appear to affect normal operation - as far as I can tell the drive seems quite capable of writing whilst the robot is doing its thing! I dont undertake enough tape changes to make it a problem should a request occur whilst it is maintaining itself anyway.

The fact it prevents under-use issues is good as the second system is in use a "hot spare" in the event of failed job on the main unit e.g. unexpectedly running out of tape or a mechanical problem with the media handling.

Like many Linux Sys-Admins I have a developed a minor phobia for things happening (like disk/network accesses) when you arent expecting them. Given I'm in reasonable control of the system and understand the characteristics (i.e. no proprietary magic occurs) it usually means something is up that needs my attention!!
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

No worries Dave, it's all good ;)