StoreEver Tape Storage
1748134 Members
3466 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium Autoloader and Smartarray 6402

Roland Potzner

Ultrium Autoloader and Smartarray 6402

I am hoping you can help me with the configuration.

I have

HP StorageWorks 1/8 Ultrium 230 Autoloader
in HP Prolian Server connectet on a smart array 6402 controller.
The ultrium autoloader was not found, only a ultrium tape drive was found a works. on the smart array is only LUN 0 for the scsi id (13) for the autoloader found. does the 6402 adapter not support multible lun?

the other slot from the smart array is connectet to a raid5 drivestack.

can you tell me, is my configuratio possible?

Thanks Roland
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrium Autoloader and Smartarray 6402

Ronald:

Aside from getting very poor performance on the tape drive being attached to a Smart Array Controller, the Smart Array does not support multiple LUN's in that manner (autoloader's, robotic controllers, etc.) and seems to be working properly... only displaying the Tape Drive.

Your best bet is to get yourself a SCSI HBA... not only for full support, but for the best performance as well.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Roland Potzner

Hi Steven,

thank you for reply. I have not problem with the performance (215 Mb per Minute is OK), the library is only for backup from our testenvironment to backup the the environment from ours customers. I have learn (on the weekend) that the Library managed alone the tapeswitching (with symantec "veritas") also the software recognize only the tapedrive.

I hope my english is not so badly, that you can understnad me.

Thanks Roland
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

as explained, the smartarray do not support library, he cannot scan Lun, only scsi id, and as the autoloader have one scsi id and two lun, only the drive is detected.
if the device is not detected by the adapter at boot time, you will never detect it in the OS or in your backup application (Veritas)
You should use a scsi adapter not a raid controller to connect the library

marino