StoreEver Tape Storage
1753877 Members
7613 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium II Drive not compressing data?

Michael Campbell
Trusted Contributor

Ultrium II Drive not compressing data?

Folks

I have an Ultrium II 200/400 Gb drive connected to my N4000 HP-UX 11.0 server using OB 4.10
The tapes are formatted as 400Gb but as soon as the backup reaches 200Gb it mount requests. The drive details are:

lssf /dev/rmt/c11t1d0BEST
stape card instance 11 SCSI target 1 SCSI LUN 0 at&t best density available at address 1/8/0/0.1.0 /dev/rmt/c11t1d0BEST

Also, when we respond to the mount request we get the error:

Medium "0ae60a01:3f3c9b76:172b:0001" in device "ULTRIUM1" in the pool "LTO Daily Weekly" cannot be appended. Medium label is: "LTOUNIX0016"

The tape has plenty of free space and the Media Pool properties say that it's tapes are appendable but the backup will not take any other tapes and we have to abort.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Any Help Appreciated

Michael

3 REPLIES 3
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Michael,

enter the following command:
echo "scl type tape qualifier all;info;wait;infolog"|cstm > /tmp/tapeinfo.$$ ; more /tmp/tapeinfo.$$

check "Compression Status"

Regards
Bernhard
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> echo "scl ...;info;wait;infolog"|cstm

STM doesn't support the Ultrium 2. Diagnostic support for tape drives under HP-UX transitioned to HP Library & Tape Tools (www.hp.com/support/tapetools).

You can use HP L&TT, generate a support ticket, and then look at the "Data Compression Log" to see what your compression rate is. If it says "100", then compression was most likely disabled.

Note: You'll need to do this while the tape is still loaded (the counters are cleared on an unload).
The journey IS the reward.
Michael Campbell
Trusted Contributor

This is a patch issue. I will be upgrading these in the New Year.

Thanks for your help.

Michael