1748211 Members
4680 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium Performance

Vince Inman
Frequent Advisor

Ultrium Performance

I am curious to know if there has been anyone experiencing performance problems with Ultrium drives in a HPUX11.0 environment?.

I am running on a N4000-75 with a new 2/20E Tapelib recently attached.

The performance we are getting from the drives is less than the performance we were achieving when using DLT7000's.

3 REPLIES 3
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrium Performance

I haven't had any problems, and haven't heard of anyone complaining before...

Can you tell us a little more detail on how you have them configured (how many, how attached, what software, etc) and how the DLT's were configured, too (since you're comparing the two configs)?

What kind of performance are you seeing, and what was the performance of the DLT?
No matter where you go, there you are.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

One problem that would limit the Ultrium performance would be running two drives on a single SCSI HBA. It is highly recommended to use separate SCSI busses to each drive, to help keep the drive streaming. The library controlller can be on the same bus as one of the drives, since it uses almost no bus bandwidth.
The journey IS the reward.
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Being a fan of Ultrium drives, one of our managers gave me a very interesting whitepaper about your very problem. Fortunetely, I found it on the web as well. Follow this link to read it:

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/tapebackup/ultrium_tapedrives/ultrium230/infolibrary/whitepapers/ultperfpress.pdf

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!