StoreEver Tape Storage
1752530 Members
4704 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium Tape Stuck Inside the drive.

Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Ultrium Tape Stuck Inside the drive.

Hi All,

One of my tape library is IBM 3584. I noticed that one ultrium 2 catridge is suck inside one of the drive. I opened the library door and I am seeing the error code no.6.

I tried the following.
===========================

1. Tried removing the catridge by the administration consoles , both web and the front panel. But It failed to unload the catridge.

2. I pressed the special button on the drive inside the library. Still its not coming out. Seems its firmly stuck somewhere.

3. Did the power recycle specially for this drive.

Finally there is no outcome.

Any comments?

regards,
Syam
3 REPLIES 3
Hoang Chi Cong_1
Honored Contributor

Hi
As you said, the Library's mechanics had some trouble.
It is better if you call to get support.
Any action to try pullout the tape may damage the robotic arm or read-write head.

Goodluck
HoangChiCong
Looking for a special chance.......
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Jim,

I found that error code 6 is referring to an error due to either the media or the drive.I found this at IBM TotalStorage Ultrium Tape Drive 3580 Models L23 and H23-Setup and Operator Guide.( Page number 57 )

The document was there at www.redbooks.ibm.com. doc#GA32-0460-00.

Think that The drive is required to be opened to get the tape out of it. I am loggin a call with IBM now.

Thanks for your help.

regards,
Syam

Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

I found that the drive is faulty and require replacement. I also understood that I will need to open the drive to remove the catridge. I found the info in the ultrium 2 manual of IBM tape library.

Closing the thread.

Thanks,
Syam