5504 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade DLT 4/40 with Ultrium drives

dave daniels_2
Valued Contributor

Upgrade DLT 4/40 with Ultrium drives

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if is possible to update my Dlt8000 library(A5585A) with Ultrium drives, if so can you recommend a product #

Thanks,
Dave
4 REPLIES 4
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Yes of course you can.

Make sure you have firmware 1.20 or better in your 4/40 library. Otherwise it won't work.

Just buy 4 Ultrium drives for 4/40 library, switch off your library, replace your drive, reconnect and that's it.

Make sure all Ultrium drives have one SCSI bus dedicated to it. No daisy-chaining allowed.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Ian Hillier
Frequent Advisor

I'm in the same situation and inquired about this. This is what I got from a CE - If you want to use Ultrium tapes (to get extra capacity), you need to buy all new tape caddies because the tapes are not the same size. If your library is full, this can be pretty expensive - 40 tapes * $100 + 4 caddies * 100(?) = ~$4500!

Regards,

John
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

What he meant are the tape magazines...

I forgot that one, he's right. Since the Ultrium media tapes are slightly smaller than DLT8000 media tapes, you need to buy their magazines as well.

But there are only 8 magazines, not 400! 2 per door.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

You can also have a mix of drives, i.e. both DLT8000 and Ultrium drives on the same library.

To do this, you have to have common drives in floors, i.e., for example, 2 DLT8000 on the lower floor, 2 Ultrium drives on the upper floor. On each floor, either Ultrium or DLT8000, no mix.

Also, if you have mixed drives, you must have mixed magazines for both types of drives. The magazines are recognizible by watching the triangle on the magazine. DLT8000 magazines should have a triangle facing right, Ultrium magazines should have a triangle facing left.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!