StoreEver Tape Storage
1751898 Members
5643 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Urgent! New ESL9322 - Problem with Internal SCSI Cabeling!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthias Rettl
Frequent Advisor

Urgent! New ESL9322 - Problem with Internal SCSI Cabeling!

Colleagues,

i really have a problem with a brandnew ESL9322 library (June 2004): the internal cabeling is NOT as described in all the manuals:
"ESL9322 series libraries are equipped with internal SCSI cables and terminators in place for a one drive per SCSI bus configuration. This is the recommended configuration (and the required configuration for Ultrium 460 drives) and ensures optimal performance."

see: http://www5.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000073760304
and go to the "ESL9322 SCSI cable configurations" section.

Figure 2 shows the SCSI backplane and the cabeling as required and - so the manual - preinstalled.

but it is not:
on the ESLs SCSI card there is a little printed circuit board connected on port "A". the board also has it's own power cables! the board has a SCSI connector on it but it's not connected to anything.

Port "B" is connected with Port "K" with a SCSI cable and a terminator is seated on Port "L"!

on the drive side there is also a difference: Drive 0 and Drive 1 are joined with a SCSI cable and both are connected with their thick cables down to the SCSI boards!

and this is, definitely, neihter as shown in Figure 2 nor as they told an at the training!

now i'm really confused. i have an optional Interface Manager Card and a e2400-160 Storage Router.

What shall i do with this additional circuit board? how should i connect my SCSI cables?

Please, it's really urgent and any help would me great for me, thanks in advice!

Matthias

7 REPLIES 7
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Urgent! New ESL9322 - Problem with Internal SCSI Cabeling!

Matthias,
the small printed circuit connected on the bulk head is a scsi repeater, neede because the lenght of the internal cabling on the first scsi bus include the cable to the controller plus the cable to the drive. the total lengh is close to 10 meter that is the max specified distance for the LVD signal, so if you have to use a 5 meter cable to reach the router, your total lenght will exceed specification, and in that case you will need this circuit in order to regenerate scsi signal.
If your external cable is very shoort and les than ~ one meter, you can ommit this circuit.

Marino
Matthias Rettl
Frequent Advisor

Thankx, Mario!

now i see a little clearer. but do you know, why the ESL is cabled so strange by default?

and, should i remove the board and cable everything like in the user manual?

would this be a correct cabeling:

connect "A" to "K" with a cable.
connect port "0" of the e2400 with "L".
connect port "1" of the e2400 with "B".
connect scsi cable to drive "0", terminate the other connector on the drive.
connect scsi cable to drive "1", terminate the other connector on the drive.

??

thanks in advance!

kind regards,
matthias
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

It is not clear to me what you actualy have and what you want to have.

If the drives are cabled as two daisy cahaned by bus, follow the figure one,

If the drives are cabled a one per bus, it is not a problem, even if they are not Ultium 2, just cable as per second figure
Matthias Rettl
Frequent Advisor

Hy!

i have 2 Ultrium-2 drives and don't want to dasy chain them. one drive per bus is recommended.

unfortunately i have only one image attached to your response... i think its the dasy chain one.

with "host connection" the scsi connection to the e2400 is meant, isn't it?

kind regards!
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

and here is the second gif.

so in the first cse, first channel to scsi portA, jumper K > B, and terminator on scsi portL
second to scsi port D and terminator on port E
for the second case:
first channel to scsi port L, jumper K > A
second channel to scsi port B
third channel to scsi port C
(in this case the terminator is close to the Drive
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

ok now I understand you have to change internal cabling, if you want to move from two device per bus to one per bus.

You should remove the intra sdlt jumper, the cable betwee each drive to the bulk head should be in place, then you have to put terminator near all LTO, on the appropriate connector (the one that was used for the jumper cable). then connect your router as per the second figure, and yes, if router is used that is your host
Matthias Rettl
Frequent Advisor

...and the 10 Points go to...

thanks a lot, marino. mille grazie!

now it's perfectly clear - i was just completely confused because of the f*** cabeling the box comes and because of the circuit board - which is decribed nowhere.

kind regards from vienna!
matthias