1753746 Members
5007 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Virtual Tape experience with data protector

Unix Team_2
Occasional Advisor

Virtual Tape experience with data protector

Has anyone had expeience with Quantum DX30 and Data Protector. We get ocassional, write i/o errors and unload failures with virtual tape. The virtual library is extremely fast and I wonder if there are some timing issues. Is there parameters we can change on the host or in DP5.0 to address this

Cheers

Error

[Major] From: BMA@melsys3.cub.com.au "melvlib1_melsys3_DLT1" Time: 11/11/03 10:59:34
[90:51] /dev/rmt/30mn
Cannot write to device ([5] I/O error)

working for a brewery is not all bad!
3 REPLIES 3
RNY
Respected Contributor

Re: Virtual Tape experience with data protector

Hello,
try first to make a tar of 100 MB to this Quantum using the device file (/dev/rmt/30mn) and if it succeed ,like that you will be sure that the problem is from data protector.if not the problem will be either cable problem or connection or hardware problem.
Update me after..
regards
Unix Team_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. I did try this and it worked ok. Looks like the problem is related to HBA cards. HP is investigating. Thanks for feedback.
working for a brewery is not all bad!
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

I haven't had any direct experience with the DX30, but any I/O errors should, IMO, be related to bad spots on disk. The failure to unload a tape isn't good though (unless this is coming from Data Protector noting that the drive is still in use, in which case it's a software bug that it tried to unload it in the first place). If this is a problem on the DX30, then it's probably a software/firmware problem on the device. If Data Protector works without problems on a normal tape library, then it should work just as well on the DX30 - only *much* faster on the positioning and load/unload times.

HTH,

Stuart.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.