6009 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: While using DAT USB drive-the tape ejects on reboot

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Murthy,

> tried with HP USB driver HPUSBMSC.SYS and this is when the problem occurs. I replaced this driver with USBstor.sys and we did not see the problem.

Thanks for the clarifacation. This certainly warrants some investigation.

To help us potentially duplicate this issue, could you provide the follow (for each unique configuration that has this issue):

Specific OS type/version and Service Pack.
System Hardware Model
ISV (backup application)
Windows RSM state (enabled/disabled)
Any HP Insight Management Agents installed?
HP USB Mass Storage Device driver version
HP DAT driver version
Specific HP Dat product
HP DAT product firmware revision

Sorry, that's a long list, but it will make it more likely for us to duplicate & isoloate your problem.

> One more strange problem I noticed when the USB DAT 72 external drive was connected to a DL380G3 Windows 2000 Advanced server was that the OS did not load...

Sounds like a separate problem. I'd like to focus on the eject issue first. Perhaps you could start a new thread for the boot problem.

- HP Engineering -
The journey IS the reward.
murthy_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi David,

Thanks for following up on this and apologise for the delay in replying back with all the info as I was away yesterday.

Specific OS type/version and Service Pack.
Windows 2000 advanced server Service pack 4

System Hardware Model
DL380G3 (System ROM: 9.15.2004)

ISV (backup application)
Windows NT Backup

Windows RSM state (enabled/disabled)
Tried both (enabled, started & disabled)

Any HP Insight Management Agents installed?

HP USB Mass Storage Device driver version
(USBSTOR.SYS version 5.00.2195.6655)

HP DAT driver version
HPDAT.sys 1.5.2.2

Specific HP Dat product
HP DAT 72 USB (External) - C7438A

HP DAT product firmware revision
ZU55

Regds,
Murthy
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Thanks Murthy, that should help engineering take a look at this first of next week.

Are there any messages of interest in the system event log around the time of the reboot?
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Murthy,

The engineering team asked if we could raise an elevation to them to work on this. Do you have an open support call with HP on this issue? If so, could you provide the case number and I could request support to elevate a case to (tier 3) engineering? If not, could you contact HP support and open a case?
murthy_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi David,

Thanks for following up on this.

Yes I have a WFM case for this (2206580314).

I also have elevated this WFM case via CPR process and waiting to hear from someone.

Regds,
Murthy
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Murthy,

Engineering took a look at the configration details you provided.

> HP USB Mass Storage Device driver version
> 6.4.1010.0 (USBSTOR.SYS version 5.00.2195.6655)

> HP DAT driver version
> HPDAT.sys 1.5.2.2

These are both out of date, and the USB driver in particular has a known issue that can exhibit the symptom you mention. You need version "07/18/2005, 6.05.2000.0"

Both of these drivers are bundled together in the DrvInstaller.exe bundle labeled "Windows Driver for HP DAT Tape Drives" and listed as version 1.5.3.1 (the DAT tape driver version).

You can find this in the DAT 72 USB external downloads under "Microsoft Windows 2000". For some reason, the driver download is not listed under most of the sub categories of win2000 (like Advanced Server).

This link might work to get you there:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=501423&prodNameId=501426&swEnvOID=181&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-34118-1

So upgrade the DAT/USB drivers and let us know if that does not resolve this problem.