108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Will HP9000 G50 support Compaq C5173L DLT autoloader/library

SOLVED
Go to solution
Graham Comfort_1
Occasional Contributor

Will HP9000 G50 support Compaq C5173L DLT autoloader/library

There is a Compaq C5173L (with fibre connection) gathering dust in our store room. WOuld I be able to connect this satisfactorily onto an HP9000 G50 ?
life is a path leading to your destiny
3 REPLIES 3
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Re: Will HP9000 G50 support Compaq C5173L DLT autoloader/library

Hi Graham:

I don't think it is possible, just because there is no fibre channel adapters available to work with the OLD G class systems.

If you have any new servers (N, L, V, K ..etc), then you may be able to connect this with a proper driver and then backup data on the G50 through that. However for the support issues, you have to contact HP support center.

See this link for some available fibre channel adapters and the compatible servers:

http://www.hp.com/products1/unixserverconnectivity/storage/adapter15/specifications/index.html

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Graham Comfort_1
Occasional Contributor

Oh dear! I've subsequently discovered that it's not fibre connected after all. Connection is actually Fastwide SCSI 2.
life is a path leading to your destiny
Curtis C. Ballard
Occasional Advisor
Solution

The Compaq C5173L DLT library is a rebranded HP but the firmware was a special. I don't have the compatibility list in front of me but am almost certain that the HP version was tested on the G50 so there shouldn't be any problem but you might see about downloading the HP version of the firmware because Compaq had some low level SCSI differences in their version. The link for firmware for the 2/15 DLT7000 is: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNum=C5170J&prodName=hp+surestore+15+slot+with+dlt7000&locale=en_US&taskName=download+drivers+%26+software&taskId=8418&prodSeriesId=63822&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesName=hp+surestore+15+slot+with+dlt7000+series

You will probably want the HP support tool manager and firmware files for it because I believe the Library and Tape Tools utility may detect that it is a Compaq variety and require a password to download HP firmware.