StoreEver Tape Storage
1752650 Members
5559 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Win2K SP4 causes Backup throughput to fall dramatically.

David Horton_2

Win2K SP4 causes Backup throughput to fall dramatically.

Following the installation of Win2K SP4 on our domain controller, we have yet to have a successful backup because the throughput has dropped from about 400Mb/min to 30-40Mb/min. We are using a 35/70 DLT Tape Drive.

This is the case when trying to backup to tape, however if you backup to disk then the throughput is 400Mb/min.

Anybody experienced similar problems or has some idea's on how to fix this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"You talkin to me?"
2 REPLIES 2
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Check SCSI card and DLT drive drivers in device manager and reaload if necessary (for example, from manufacturer's website). Try LTT to measure performance http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
Eugeny
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

You don't say whether this is a new install of W2K or if it's an upgrade of the service pack. The other main thing which could be involved here is the SCSI card - what kind do you have? I know there's a problem with the original Adaptec drivers for the 29160/31160 for writing to IBM's LTO drives, but I'm not aware of any problems with DLT.

Please follow up on this post. I'd be very interested to know if there's a problem with SP4 specifically.

Cheers,

Stuart.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.