StoreEver Tape Storage
1752794 Members
6665 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: With CBII installed I lose access to A: drive.

Vernon Lies

With CBII installed I lose access to A: drive.

When I installed CBII (internal ide) I lost access to my A: drive. If I uninstall CBII I can than access the drive. There are no conflicts in device manager. The O/S is Windows 98 4.10 (build 2222 A).
What am I doing?
9 REPLIES 9
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

I give up...what is CB II?

Is it an HP product, a tape drive, a CD Rom..software?

Obviously there are some device drivers involved...
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Vernon Lies

CBII is Colorado Backup II. It is an internal 8GB tape drive.
What am I doing?
Michael Francisco
Trusted Contributor

Hmmm...I would check a couple of things...

1) Physically check to see where the drive is plugged in. Are you using the same cable as the one connecting to the drive A, or to a hard drive?

2) Is the drive really an IDE? If it is and plugging it in affects the drive A: it might be that you have somehow plugged it into the floppy controller.

3) if the drive is really an older Colorado tape drive that uses the floppy controller verify that your bios sees it properly (I think it will come up as a floppy drive B:). I had a similar problem years ago and it ended up being a bad floppy drive cable.

Good luck,
Michael
Uhhh...no
Vernon Lies

I have double checked cableing. In fact I have had it as a master on the secondary controller, slave on the master and slave on the secondary controller. It makes no difference which configuration being used.
Thanks for the input.
What am I doing?
Michael Francisco
Trusted Contributor

I'm really reaching here, but is it possible that this may be a power problem? When the tape drive is disconnected from the IDE controller, is it also disconnected from the power supply? Try unplugging the tape drive from the IDE but leave it plugged into the power supply.
Uhhh...no
Michael Francisco
Trusted Contributor

I'm really reaching here, but is it possible that this may be a power problem? When the tape drive is disconnected from the IDE controller, is it also disconnected from the power supply? Try unplugging the tape drive from the IDE but leave it plugged into the power supply.
Uhhh...no
Vernon Lies

I don't think it is a power problem. I left the tape drive plugged into the power supply, unplugged the tape drive from the ide controller, removed the installation software and the A: drive works. Reinstall the tape drive software and plug in the controller I receive the "cannot access drive message". Might mention that the tape drive works fine after every install.
What am I doing?
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

Try it in another box. It may well be that there is some goofy incompatibility - where either the drive, or your system is not playing by normal rules... or both are just barely within some sort of spec, or some such.

You might look out for grounding issues and radiation/electronic interference kind of stuff, switch cables around, that sort of thing.

Good Luck.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Vernon Lies

Did not have another box to try it in. Checked for different drivers and ended up reinstalling the software yet again. I am not sure what changed but it is working at this time.
Thanks everyone for your input and advice.
What am I doing?