108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: autochanger driver configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Bonner
Occasional Advisor

autochanger driver configuration

I've added a C1557a tape autochanger to a K class server running 11.0. The tape device is attached to an HPPB Interface card (28655A). Ioscan shows drivers are claimed for the card, the tape device (tape2 /dev/rmt/2m) and the autoch (autox0 /dev/rac/c4t3d1). However, whenever I run a.out from /usr/contrib/src on the card or the changer, I get an open :Invalid Argument error...Any Ideas?
15 REPLIES 15

what does this command return?

mc -p /dev/rac/c4t3d1 -q

if you get something meaningful try:

mc -p /dev/rac/c4t3d1 -r DIMS

to get the contents of the library

HTH

duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Bob Bonner
Occasional Advisor

The command mc -p /dev/rac/c4t3d1 -q returns
ERROR: /dev/rac/c4t3d1: Invalid argument. I just checked the scsi card and it's driver is scsi1. I think that should be spt so I'm going to change that and see what effect it has.
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor
Solution

No, scsi1 is the correct driver for the HBA.

On HPPB interface (your case) the pass-through interface cannot co-exist with the class drivers.

Thus, if you want to send pass-through commands to the changer, then you must configure the changer to use the spt driver (with the driver spt) statement in the system file.

The same is true for the tape drive.
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

I think you need schgr driver also in the kernel to operate that device.

Sandip
Good Luck!!!
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

Sandip,

You are partially correct.

The schgr driver is the class driver for all libraries other than ones on HPPB I/O cards (those are driven by the autox0 driver).

The schgr driver can accept passhthrough I/O commands simultaneously to changer operations. The autox0 driver cannot (!) do this.

The HPPB I/O interfaces are older and were designed before passthrough I/O was being used for devices, thus it does not have the infrastructure in place to do this. The spt driver was put in place as a special purpose class driver to help with this, allowing passthrough access to HPPB devices. However, since it was added after the fact, and not designed into the driver stack it cannot co-exist with the other driver.

When the newer driver stack was designed (schgr, sdisk, stape, sctl) pass-through was designed into it from the beginning, allowing it to always be executed.

Acutally, if you have a device on a C720 type HBA, you don't even have to use schgr for passhthrough I/O as long as you create the correct device node, as sctl (the pass-through only interface) is defaulted on all unclaimed devices on these interfaces.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You need to configure a special device to use the robotics. Follow the information in the attachment. It will fix the problem. (I hope)

Cheers
~Michael~
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
If you go by Micheal's advice, it will be ok.
We have gone through this document with our libraries / autochangers for years and they work well.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Bob Bonner
Occasional Advisor

The autochanger works like a champ, thanks to all. The tape drive however responds with an open error, any suggestions on that one?

Thanks again,

Bob Bonner

Bob,

What command generates the error? What is the exact syntax of the error? Is there a tape in the drive when you issue the command?

Cheers

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo