1752468 Members
6474 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

cant restore LTO4 tape on any other server

Ragho
Advisor

cant restore LTO4 tape on any other server

I Have windows server 2003 SP2 with HP LTO4 external SCSI tape driver firmware B45D and windows driver 1.0.5.2 25/09/2007, when I do an ntbackup on this tape drive I can’t open the tape or restore it on any other tape drive. while am able to open it and restore it on the same server.
note: I replace the tape drive but the problem still exist on the same server.
Also I have another tape drive with same driver and firmware on another server which don’t have this problem.
Please advice how I can fix this problem?!
4 REPLIES 4
Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

Re: cant restore LTO4 tape on any other server

Hi,

Have you imported the tape on the other server if yes, did you run catalog tape on that server.
If the server is not aware of the content on the tape he cannot restore the tape.

Dany
Luc Minnaert
Respected Contributor

ntbackup questions are best not put into this Data Protector forum
Ragho
Advisor

dears,
its not related to NTbackup or to LTO4 tape drive or media, coz we can run backup on USB drive and restore it on any other server, the problem exactly happened when I prepare a tape on this server, since I prepare it on this server I cant read the tape on any other server or drive.
as if its prepared in a format no other server or drive can read it!!!!
thatiraju
Frequent Advisor

HI..

POst the exact error.

Have you checked what is blocksize setting at the problematic tape drive .

The blocksize at which you have backup should match the destination drive blocksize.

The blocksize can be set under

KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Ntbackup.
Add the String Value (Reg_SZ) â Tape Block Sizeâ and set to a value that is a power of 2. Valid values are: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, 32768, 65536, 131072, 262144, 524288. Since the variable is a string, it must be entered in decimal format. The value will propagate down to the corresponding entry in HKEY_USERS identified by the user SID. To set the value for other users, the HKEY_USERS entry for the other users SID can be modified so that the change is in affect for other users who may be performing backups on the server in question.

Raj.