9209 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

compaq autoloader on a HP Netserver

Rob T

compaq autoloader on a HP Netserver

My dept. recently purchased a Compaq tape autoloader:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/dat8cassette2040/index.html

this is to be used on a Netserver 2000R. While Win2k server (sp3) can detect the device, it can't find the drivers for it. I've downloaded them from the compaq section, but it still can't find them once I've extracted the files.

Looking through the doc's I've seen a list of supported bios for proliant servers, which aren't appropriate for the netserver. Does this mean that the compaq drive won't work on the hp netserver, or am I doing something wrong?

I'd appreciate any help.

Regards

Rob T
3 REPLIES 3
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: compaq autoloader on a HP Netserver

Rob,
there're two devices inside the autoloader: tape drive and autochanger robot. If there're problems with autochanger device, then you need backup software which should have driver for it. In addition do not forget to disable Removable storage manager service before installing backup software
Eugeny
Rob T

Hi Eugeny

thanks for having a look at this.

I'm going to be using Win2k's own Backup software. In the device manager the medium changer is installed as an unknown medium changer, but has no errors. The device itself however doesn't have any drivers installed and has a no driver installed error and from within backup I can't choose to backup to tape.

Would I be right in assuming Microsoft doesn't provide drivers with ntbackup?

Regards

Rob T
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Yes, with built-in Win capabilities you will be able to see and backup data to autolaoder's tape drive, but will not be able to manage autochanger. Thus to load tape to a tape drive you'll need to operate autoloader's front panel manually.
If you wish 'full automation' you should use backup software which can manage changers, for example, HP Data Protector (Omniback), CA ArcServe, TapeWare, etc
Eugeny