4870 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: compatibility between SDLT320 and HP Ultra 320 adapter

BERTON_1
Frequent Advisor

compatibility between SDLT320 and HP Ultra 320 adapter

Hello,
I use a 64-bit/133-MHz 2 ch Ultra320 SCSI Adapter (268351-B21) connected to 2 SDLT 320 in a overland library.

during the boot the card indicate this :
Slot Port ID LUN VENDOR PRODUCT REV SYNC WIDE CAPACITY
---- ---- -- --- -------- ----------- -------- ----- ---- ------------
1 00 7 0 LSILogic LSI1030-IT 1032700 320.0 16
1 01 1 0 OVERLAND NEO Series 0513
1 01 2 0 QUANTUM SDLT320 5656
1 01 3 0 QUANTUM SDLT320 5656
1 01 7 0 LSILogic LSI1030-IT 1032700 320.0 16

... no bus speed and size for SDLT drives.
Hp tools indicate as speed (asynchronous)
Overland says me that I need to fix manually the speed of the card to Ultra2.
I have contacted the HP support but they don't know the method to do this.
the card is a LSI22320, it's write on a sticker, I have contacted LSI support but they say that HP desactivate the CTRL-C command to enter in the setup of the card...

How to configure this card ?

regards

Pascal

5 REPLIES 5
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Pascal,

what is your problem with this configuration? do you have any trouble or is just a question?
The U320 scsi (but was already part of the u160 protocol) have a task called "Domain Validation" this task will check the maximum speed that all the environment can support, not only the speed that hba and target support as in the past, then the correct negotiation speed is selected.
this can depend about cable, terminator, controller, drives, or HBA. each of these component may cause a drop of the negotiated speed.

marino
BERTON_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Marino
In fact the card works, I do backups with BE10 at 1GB/mn.
I try to optimise the speed because the SDLT do start and stop during the backup.

In the first step, I discover with insight manager and System Management that the Current Speed indicated is Asynchronous.

I think it isn't optimal.
The cable is a HP 341174-B21 it's a VHDCI/VHDCI lvd cable.
The Terminator is a LVD terminator used before with a U160 card, do you think I need a terminator validated with U320 card?
On the Old ML330 G2 with a U160 card, I use same drives, same terminator, but a different cable.
I saw the sdlt320 as a Ultra2 peripheral with insight manager and System Management

regards
Pascal

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Usualy if your SDLT start/stop during the backup, the cause is due to the source of the data, the speed negotiated between HBA and Drive, probably is not the bottleneck.
And yes, the SDLT320 is a Ultra2 device.
The scsi bandwith became important when you have to share it with several hight performance drives, but if you have just one, I think it will never saturate it.

I would suggest you to use LTT to resolve your problem, there is a "System Performance" test available, this will calculate at that speed you will be able to read the data from the source, then you have also a Device Performace test, that will calculate the speed your drive can write on the tape.

marino\
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00221539

as you can see from these specifications, the burst stransfer rate is 80MB/sec, so no problem with the scsi bus
BERTON_1
Frequent Advisor

Ok, I coninue to use it in asychronous mode, because the performance isn't realy bad.
I check the terminator...

I use a block size of 64 KB, I backup a lot of files with size less than 20KB,
If I reduce the block size, can I store more files on the tape.
Is it like on a HD where each file use 1 block ?

thank's for your help