5634 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: connect two servers to MSL 6030

Maikelnai
Occasional Advisor

connect two servers to MSL 6030

Hello,

I have a MSL 6030 library connected to one server. I would like to connect this library to another server.

This is posible ?

I was speaking about this with a partner of HP and he say me that I need a drive unit (U460) to connect this MSL 6030 to two servers.

This is true ?

Thanks,
regards
5 REPLIES 5
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Hmm, short and stupid answer is yes, you can.
BUT, only one server is able to address robotic. The second server, you can direct attach to second drive, and oops, problem, how to insert tape to this drive? Only first server can control robot library, and depending backup software, can move tape from/to one or two drives.
In other words, it is not possible to attach (via SCSI) 2 servers to one MSL6030.
regards,
Andrzej
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Maikelnai:

How many tape drives do you have in the 6030? 1 drive unit? 2 drive units?

If you have one 1 Tape drive, you can only connect one host.

If you have 2 drives, you can connect 2 hosts.

If you have a Fibre Channel SAN, you can connect many hosts to the library through the use of Fibre Channel HBA's (in your hosts) and a NSR (Network Storage Router) in the Tape Library.

So, assuming you have the "HP MSL6030 1 Ultrium 460 Dr LVDS Library" (AD598A), then you would need a second U460 Tape drive to connect the second server to.

Step 9 in doc... http://h200002.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00296711/c00296711.pdf shows the basic/recommended cabling.

The user guide... http://h200002.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00296712/c00296712.pdf shows different cabling options. (pages 37-39)

All these docs and others can be found at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=3124&locale=en_US&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=316040

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The questions that really should be asked are...

What backup software are you using? and are you willing to upgrade if necessary?

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Maikelnai
Occasional Advisor

hello again,

I have only 1 drive unit and I use DataProtector 5.1 for backups.

I have one free scsi port but this only is valid with other drive unit ?

Thanks a lot.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"I have one free scsi port but this only is valid with other drive unit ?"

Correct. You can only connect one host to 1 drive (at a time) unless you have a SAN in place and you have the NSR for your library.

Now, since your using DataProtector, there is the possibility of setting up a second host (with a second drive) and still be able to fully utilize all the drive features.

I am not a Backup Expert, but I know in Veritas Netbackup, you can have "master" and "media" servers where the media servers talk to to the master to get tape functionality, but the media server itself utilizes the 2nd drive. I would think DP would have a similar way of doing this.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE