108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

connecting msl8096

SOLVED
Go to solution
pensfan
Occasional Advisor

connecting msl8096

What is the proper way to connect a msl8096 with 3 tape drives to 3 servers via a scsi connection? Do the drives get daisy chained together or does each drive get connected to a server?

Thanks for any help
10 REPLIES 10
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Re: connecting msl8096

You don't say what kind of tape drives are in your 8096. With LTO-3 and LTO-4 tape drives it's best to put them on their own bus to avoid performance problems. LTO-3 half high drives can't be daisy chained be we don't recommend it since the extra loading often causes the bus to drop from U320 to U160. LTO-2 half high drives can be daisy chained.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

supposing you need one tape per server, you just have to connect each drive to a server.
the first one, will manage also the robot that is mapped as a lun of a drive.
You will need a Backup application able to manage all the solution with media agents to run it
pensfan
Occasional Advisor

They are LTO-3 drives, currently they are connected to separate servers, the tape drive that hosts the library gets detected by backup exec, the other two drives are not found. The library and host tape drive are seen in device manager and in backup exec, the other two servers see their tape drive in device manager, but i can't add them under the library in backup exec, its either a setting change somewhere or i am missing a component in BE.

thank you for the help
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

There are in fact several modules in BE that can be loaded for differents config, I know that for similar config the SAN module will work, but may be there is something specific for that SCSI multihost config, I think you may get better answer from BE support directly
pensfan
Occasional Advisor

I think my problem may be related to LUN scanning on the HBA card, i just need to wait for a chance to reboot the server to check and make sure its enabled
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor
Solution

If the server connected to the drive that hosts the library is seeing the library then there is no LUN scanning issue. Only the HBA on the server connected to the drive hosting the library needs LUN scanning on.

I think you need to get the proper BE modules installed to support that config. BE on the servers that only have a tape drive has to be able to talk over the network to a master BE installation on the server with the library controller. I don't use BE enough to know what modules you need to make that work.
pensfan
Occasional Advisor

LUN scanning is enabled but its only seeing the library and 1 drive when i scan for scsi devices, no idea what to do next
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The server connected to the master drive will only see the library and one drive. The other drives will only show up on the servers that they are connected to.

You need to talk to your BE support to determine what modules you would have to install to get BE to see that there are drives connected to other servers.
pensfan
Occasional Advisor

that is exactly what is happening, would the hba find the other 2 drives when it does a scan, HP tape tools doesn't even find the other 2 when it does a scan.

You have been most helpful