1752513 Members
5811 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: d2d4112 - "No space left on physical cartridge"

Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

d2d4112 - "No space left on physical cartridge"

We have an HP d2d4112 system that is attached to an LTO 1840 tape drive. The tape media we are using says 1.6TB on the label.

We have a Virtual Tape with 1482GB of data on it that I'm trying to copy to a physical tape. I clicked on "Tape Attach", "Manual Jobs", and selected my virtual tape and hit "Next". It copied 1069GB of data and stopped with the error message "No space left on physical cartridge."

What gives? I thought these were 1.6TB tapes? Also, if I need to use two tapes to complete this job, how is that accomplished? I do not see any options in the GUI to switch to the next tape.
8 REPLIES 8
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

This is the warning message that is displayed before the job starts:

"The size of the data to be copied/exported is bigger than the physical cartridge size so data compression will be enabled. Are you sure you want to proceed?"
Ralf Loehmann_2
Valued Contributor

Hello Sean,
the LTO media is saying 1.6 TB (assuming 2:1 Compression). Looks like your data is not that high compressable. You might check your data with any compressing utility, which uses a LZMA-based compression (LTO compression is based on it). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LZMA
Or check here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_archive_formats#Compression_only

Ralf.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Or, expressed in another way: The Ultrium 4 media has a raw capacity of 800 GB. If you enable compression, you can fit 800 GB or hundreds of petabytes on one tape. It all depends on how compressible is the data.
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

This is extremely disappointing. Why was this product designed in such a way that the virtual tape library holds more data than the physical tapes can store? Does this not defeat the entire purpose of a d2d2t system?

Our entire plan was to create a virtual tape library that matched the specifications of our physical tape drive, so that we could easily do 1:1 copies of the virtual tapes to the physical tapes. As it stands I do not see any way to copy the data on the virtual tape onto multiple physical tapes. Why doesn't the d2d system ask me to insert the next tape to continue copying the data?

We're not pleased. Sorry to rant about this, but it doesn't seem like a very well engineered product. The virtual tapes should behave exactly like the physical tapes.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Read the user guide:

The only times you can resize cartridges are when you first create a library or when you add slots and they are blank. Once the cartridges are made available to the backup application, it formats them ready for use and they are no longer blank, even if you have not yet written data to them.
Similarly, the erase function on most backup applications does not return the cartridge to a completely blank state.
The Max Size defaults to the appropriate capacity for the drive emulation type selected on the Devices tab, but if the Used Size is Blank, you can edit this value. The maximum value allowed is 1600 GB.
Click Edit for the appropriate slot. Select a value from the drop-down menu and click Update.
NOTE:
The maximum size indicates the physical disk space available for that slot assuming uncompressed data; it will only be committed when data is written to it. Changing the maximum space does not affect actual disk usage or save disk space, but may be useful if you know you will be moving data to a physical tape with a smaller cartridge capacity.

Just read the labels on the media correctly. An Ultrium 4 is 800 GB, not 1600 GB.

There's an * leading to a note saying that 1.6 TB is assuming data can be compressed 2:1. This has been like this since DAT drives 15 years ago.
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your reply. I understand the compression ratios, etc, its just that I expected the virtual tapes to behave just like the physical ones.

What I didn't expect was that the virtual tape library would allow me to cram 1.2TB of data on to one tape, when the physical tape caps out at 1 Terabyte.

I will destroy the virtual library and re-create it with 800GB tapes instead.
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor

I should also add that our vendor indicated that we could expect over 50% compression ratio in most cases. This is certainly not the case in our situation. Not HP's fault, but we're a bit disappointed to have been misled in this way...
Sean Carolan
Frequent Advisor