108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: dat 40x6 to XW4100 scsi cable?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dale Corrington
Advisor

dat 40x6 to XW4100 scsi cable?

I have a HP C5717c 40x6 tape autoloader with I believe a 68 pin Ultra2 LVD SCSI connected to a HPUX C3600. I want to move the autoloader to my PC, a HP XW4100 that has a VHDCI. Can this be done with the correct cable?
5 REPLIES 5
Dale Corrington
Advisor

I forget to mention the dat docs mention an adapter for 68 pin HD to 68 pin VHDCI part# C7434A. Is this all I need?
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

This shouldn't be a problem - if your c3600 uses LVD. SCSI won't care what kind of connector you're using as long as the signals are received the same way as they were sent.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.
Dale Corrington
Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean about the C3600. I assume it is LVD since the tape drive is, my concern is moving the tape to my 4100 which is VHDCI.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Q>I want to move the autoloader to my PC, a HP XW4100 that has a VHDCI. Can this be done with the correct cable?

Answer is yes.

cable with HD VDCI are both with 68 pins, so all the signals are passed to the drive.
There is just some kind or limitation in case you use U320 devices (HBA and Device usualy HDD) due to the bandwith limitation caused by less quality cable as those with HD connectors because they come from a previous generation that do not trust such a hight speed negoziation.
but for your autoloader you will have no problems at all.
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Sorry, got it the wrong way round. Your XW4100 has to be using LVD signals on that connection - your C3600 is guaranteed to be using this if the drive is working there. I can't answer for what kind of card is in your PC though. It's the same kind of thing as having a UK or European power socket in the wall. They're both 220 volt, so as long as it's using the right voltage for the appliance, the appliance doesn't care what kind of plug is on the end of the cable.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.