1753315 Members
5438 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

diagnosing errors on SDLT320 drive

Byron Fowlkes
Advisor

diagnosing errors on SDLT320 drive

Openvms cluster with clusterwide service for native mode backup..writing in compressed mode lately has reported parity errors during tape writing sessions... would like to learn more about how to analyze error reporting to differentiate between media problem or hardware problem ...
You Brought Two Too Many
6 REPLIES 6
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

Re: diagnosing errors on SDLT320 drive

Use LTT 1st run SDLT drive assesment test if it passes then the drive is ok there is also a media assesment test.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html

Pablo Alvarado Siles
One drink away from sleeping on the pavement
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

byron,

which architecture is this vax,alpha or itanium. what is the os version. is/are the sdlt drive(s) standalone or part of a library.
which tools you might be able to use would depend on which version of the os you are using.
check out the hp web site and look for decevent and webes tools. on older versions of vms the errorlog could be viewed without the aid of these tools.
then theres the old fashioned way of using same media in a different drive, different media in original drive and use of cleaning tape ! :-)

good luck

Byron Fowlkes
Advisor

thank you Pablo... I am reviewing the link you sent for the diagnostic tools now..
You Brought Two Too Many
Byron Fowlkes
Advisor

Mark, we are using v7.3-2 and am still relying on Decevent.. not familiar with webes.. thanks
You Brought Two Too Many
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

byron,

7.3-2 was supported by webes , this was what succeeded decevent, see this link for downloads and info.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/svctools/webes/index.html

Byron Fowlkes
Advisor

allright, please give me more time to review the users guide for tapetools... I downloaded a copy and installed on the Openvms cluster... now I have to learn how to use the tool and become familiar with WEBES how fortunate I am to have two promising solutions which I have no idea how to use them
You Brought Two Too Many