1752678 Members
5529 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dlt8000 firmware V88 (0258)

stan Jenereski_1
Occasional Contributor

dlt8000 firmware V88 (0258)

It appears that with V88 of the DLT8000 code when an unload is issued the tape only become ready as indicated by the "tape in use" led.

With V80 the DLT 8000 would unload and light the Green LED which should be correct for C2 security.

my test script...

backup/media=compact/noassist/noinit/ignore=label dka0:[*...]*.*;* mka0:large.bck/save

then....
dismount mka0:

green light never comes on to remove the tape only the tape in use comes on.
6 REPLIES 6
Donna Price
Occasional Advisor

Re: dlt8000 firmware V88 (0258)

I have experienced the same problem with the DLT8000 drive, only with firmware version 86. Our DLT8000 drives with firmware version 80 work just fine.

Each time I contacted the Response Center about this problem I was sent a replacement drive. After replacing the drive 3 times, I gave up.

Any suggestions on who at HP to contact to get the firmware problem fixed?
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

I have noticed the same with with my DLT8000 drive too.

However, it seems to be a bit and miss. If we execute our backup job (v7.3-2 VMS) by releasing the job and watching to go, the tape unloads..... But leaving the job to execute naturally and the green light doesn't come on.

I'm sure the above is not 100% accurate, but from my quick investigation it seems to be the case. If I execute the commands interactivly the drive behaves perfectly.

How do you determine the firmware level of your drive ? And were do you get updates from ?

Will report back with my settings.
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
Donna Price
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jefferson,

If I execute the commands interactively the drive behaves perfectly for me too. But, not when the unload command comes from a script or program.

You can download and install the HP Storageworks Library & Tape Tools to find the firmware revision of your drive.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Donna,

The installation note mention a Terminfo database must be installed prior to installing L&TT.

Where do I get a Terminfo database from ?

Cheers,

Jeff
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
Donna Price
Occasional Advisor

Jefferson,

Unfortunately, I have no idea where you would get the terminfo database. I installed LT&T on HP-UX so I did not need the terminfo database.

Donna
Jake Blough

After firmware V80 (V85, V86, V88) there was a power saving mode introduced that releases the tension on the motor and solenoid after ten minutes of idle after an unload is initiated. this is normal on all the updated firmwares, pushing the unload button then turns the light green and reactivate the door-lock solenoid.