108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: e1200 MIB for SIM 4.0?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

e1200 MIB for SIM 4.0?

Where can I find a MIB for my e1200 router in my MSL5030 so that Systems Insight Manager can detect it and alert me on SNMP traps?
11 REPLIES 11
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

Look in the manual for M2402 router. It uses the same firmware, and the MIB is defined there. See appendix D.

http://h200002.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_269782e3/TPM_269782e3.pdf

Note: HP is not providing support for the router SNMP/MIBs going forward (including the e1200), as we have other solutions for providing tape library manageability.
The journey IS the reward.
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

I must say those instructions make zero sense to me.

1) Where do I find the MIBs?
2) How do I integrate them into SIM4?

I see no details on what to do with them.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> I must say those instructions make zero sense to me.

Some of the instructions are greek to me too :-) I know enough about SNMP/MIBs to get in trouble :-(

> 1) Where do I find the MIBs?

Both the FA 2.2 and the enterprise MIBs are in the appendix. However, in pdf form I suspect they are only good if you are interested in doing a "Get" or "Set" on a few objects. Otherwise, you probably want the whole source code of the MIB to include into your SNMP application. The FA 2.2 MIB can be found here (pointed to in the manual):
http://www.fibrealliance.org/fb/mib/mib2_2.htm

Unfortuntunately this will require a bit of clean-up (including the page break footer) to make it usable. For reference, the FA 4.0 MIB is in compilable form:
http://www.fibrealliance.org/fb/mib/mib2_2.htm

> 2) How do I integrate them into SIM4?
> I see no details on what to do with them.

As I understand it (or don't understand it), you take the MIB source code and it get's compiled into your SNMP app (agent?, manager?), and then it understands how to walk the MIB tree hierarchy.

The manual referenced also talks about setting up the SNMP traps (see page 75). You can configure up to 3 hosts to recieve events (you have some selection over which events to send). I don't know if you need the MIBs included in your SNMP agent/manager to do anything of use with them.

Perhaps someone more MIB educated can give some more information.

I did find this on the Cisco site:

Most Network Management Systems (NMSs) provide a way for the user to load Management
Information Bases (MIBs). Loading a MIB is a way that an NMS can learn about new MIB objects, such as their names, object identifiers, and the kind of datatype (for example, Counter).

The MIB may be parsed when it is loaded, or it may happen later, for instance, when an NMS application runs. The software that performs the parsing is a MIB compiler.

Any syntactically correct MIB should be successfully parsed by any vendor's MIB compiler. Unfortunately, different MIB compilers may exhibit different quirks.

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

I just noticed a thread talking about compiling in MIBs for CIM4:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=394787

You might want to follow-up in the HP Insight Manager forum if you have further MIB/CIM questions.
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

I am VERY unhappy that HP expects the average user to do the integration that they should do for the user.

Am I the only one that wants SNMP monitoring of HP products by another HP product?

This situation just seems extremely silly and reflects poorly on HP.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Did I mention that I know enough about MIBs to be dangerous ?

I suspect there may be an easier way.

For example, looking in the following folder:
c:/Program Files/HP/Insight Manager 7.../compaq/protocol/snmp/MIBS

There's a file called v3_0FA.mib, which appears to be the Fibre Alliance MIB version 3.0.

So, maybe its just a matter of mapping this MIB to your router, or even better perhaps they are self-identifying, and all you need to do is discover the device (hopefully someone with more expertise can chime in...)
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

I setup the e1200 for SNMP communications with my CIM, but CIM didn't show anything for that device.
Michael Peckman

So, I am also looking for MIBs for E1200 router in my ESL9595 tape library.

The information provided by David Ruska wasn't correct (OK, wasn't useful).

The E1200 generates traps with the vendor number 2512. For example:

The information provided by David didn't address this vendor.

So, still looking for MIBs. Please advise...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I've checked the E1200-160 user's guide from May 2003 (325741-001, there isn't any newer manual on the web pages). It says that SNMP is not supported.

These devices are based on Crossroad's hard- / software, but judging their web pages it does not look like you can get a MIB from them.