New Discussion юеВ

error updating firmware on C1537A

SOLVED
Go to solution
Geoff Carlson
Advisor

error updating firmware on C1537A

Hello,

I've got an internal C1537A that I'm trying to troubleshoot (Win2k-AS). I downloaded L&TT, and the first test recommended a firmware update and 5 consecutive cleanings. I tried to update the firmware from L005 to L111, but I keep receiving an error message just seconds into the operation. Something like error 2407: I/O request rejected by OS. I've made sure that all the BackupExec services are stopped, and RSM service is stopped also, but no difference.

Just wondering if anyone was familiar with this error, and perhaps a solution? I've seen some other people requesting attached tickets from L&TT, should I do that here?

Thank you in advance for reading... :)
11 REPLIES 11
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: error updating firmware on C1537A

We can try to analyze this error. Please do two things:

a) Go under Options/Preferences and click the 'Enable I/O history' checkbox, then 'OK'

b) Repeat the firmware update process, with the expected error message. After you have the error, go to the help menu of L&TT and create a Tool Status Report which will be e-mailed right from L&TT to the mailbox at ltt_team@hp.com.

It is important that you create the tool status report in the same L&TT session as the error message, as L&TT creates a separate log for each session, and we want to get the one that captured the error.

This will provide us with a configuration log, and an event log from L&TT that has a history of all your I/O requests. This gives us the context to analyze your problem.

Regards,
L&TT Team
Geoff Carlson
Advisor

OK, thanks very much for offering to take a look at it! I'll go perform those steps shortly.
Geoff Carlson
Advisor

Well, I don't want to get into it too much, but the integrated emailing function isn't working. It keeps trying to send through Outlook, which isn't even installed. Outlook Express is default mail handler, and sending mail works, but L&TT won't use it. Perhaps has something to do with the fact that the server is running exchange and OWA. Anyway, is there anything else I can do (short of installing Outlook, or moving the tape drive to another machine)? Thanks!
Geoff Carlson
Advisor

Hi, I don't know if it's too late, but I've moved the tape drive to another machine, and should be able to configure email now. I'm getting the same error over on this computer too, and was wondering if I could still try to send you the status report. Thank You!
Shanan Levin

I have the exact same problem using Win2k-Pro and I'm not using backupExec, I was evaluating TapeCopy Pro. I was having problems creating usable tape copies and after speaking with TapeCopy support, I was directed to upgrade the firmware on my 2 HP C1537A tape drives from L005 to L111, but everything I try to do to get the firmware to update ends quickly with "I/O request rejected by OS" message. please help.
I'll be happy to send in my logs, etc. detailing the problem.
Thanks
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

I've noticed that even installation of LTT does not say 'reboot PC before using this program' you need to reboot PC/server after installation.
Hope it helps
Eugeny
Shanan Levin

I have tried rebooting, using both ASPI and the NT miniport driver, enabling and disabling the tape devices in windows device manager, and updating the win2k drivers for the tape devices, but I continue to get the same results as described above. I also fully patched the computer because the first attempts also failed with a fresh win2k build. I'm attaching my latest ticket and tool_status files generated by ltt after the failure. I also sent an email in to 'ltt-log-northamerica@hp.com' with the sticket2 file (included in the attached zip file) hoping for some help.
Geoff Carlson
Advisor

I did get an email off to the LTT team, but never heard anything back.

I've tried most of the above as well, also tried updating the firmware through DOS off a boot floppy, but the screen just filled with garbage characters, and no luck.

We'll probably end up buying a replacement...
Bob_196
Trusted Contributor

Before you update the firmware you want to go into services and stop all your backup services (whatever backup software Backup Exec, Tape Pro etc) you should also stop and disable the native backup service in Windows 2000 - which is called Removable Storage - that should help you to complete the firmware upgrade