StoreEver Tape Storage
1752778 Members
6354 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how do I find an internal part for DLT drive - end of band that pulls tape into drive broke off

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

how do I find an internal part for DLT drive - end of band that pulls tape into drive broke off

We have a Compaq 10/20 GB external SCSI DLT tape enclosure
with a digital TH4AA DLT drive inside. The end of the foot
long band that goes from the internal take-up wheel and latches
on to the cartridge tape end to pull it into the drive has
broken off. I can repair the drive once I get a replacement
band. Where can I buy such a part? Where can I start to get
info on the official part name / part number? I have searched
Compaq's web site without success.
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: how do I find an internal part for DLT drive - end of band that pulls tape into drive broke off

That would be the pick-up arm... and it's not field servicable. The drive would have to be swapped out.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The official name of this part is a Leader. This can be ordered from Compaq but you will need to call Tech support to get the proper Spare #.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

It appears Compaq has retracted its leader kit availability for customers who have DLT units with damaged or broken leaders. In many cases you can reattach them to the loading arm. If the tip is damaged or missing you must replace the leader but if the damage is located beyond the tip, it is possible to splice the damaged area if the break is clean. There are several companys that offer replacements and will ask you if your style is round or oblong as well as make and capacity. Be advised many who offer this part are price gouging and I have seen them selling from $15usd to $125usd. A reasonable price is $35 significantly less then replacement cost. You can always make your own as I did since my pockets were too deep for my arms to reach my wallet.