cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do retreive backup off 5gb tape when system was stolen

Gene Hout
Occasional Contributor

how do retreive backup off 5gb tape when system was stolen

I have tried to read a tape I know has info on it as I used it to back up a system.I have sence bought a 5gb ext tape and it wont access the info in windows 95.Can someone tell me how to get the info into my new computer as now it asks if I want to initialise the tape and erase all info on it.I need the data .
I installed the software and the program wont acess the info.What do I do?
Thanks
True measure of man is what he would do if he knew he would not be found out
1 REPLY
Mark Vollmers
Esteemed Contributor

Re: how do retreive backup off 5gb tape when system was stolen

Gene-

it would be nice to have more information to go off of. For instance, what was the system that you had. what do you have now. what about the tape drives? are you on a newer OS or have newer software or is your new system the same as the old one? I wonder if the problem is that you had an older version of something, and the newer stuff that you have now does not accept the format that the tape was written under, for whatever reason. I know that windows will do that for floppy disks from things like macintosh or unix (refuse to access them and just wants to format it).

Mark
"We apologize for the inconvience" -God's last message to all creation, from Douglas Adams "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish"