1752579 Members
4237 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

how to share a tape drive

Nilton Eliot Medina Ygr
Occasional Advisor

how to share a tape drive

Hello, I would like to share a tape drive which is connected to one of the 3 servers (3 in one rack) the tape is an Ultrium 230, Tape Array 5300, connected to the server via SCSI LVD. I want to make backups from the other 2 servers.
Thanks in advance
Nilton
2 REPLIES 2
Allan_24
Regular Advisor

Re: how to share a tape drive

Hi,

If you├в re using standard SCSI tape, this is not possible. Co'z it is designed as direct attached storage sys. (DAS) only. You have to look for NAS/iSCSI tape based or SAN/tape solution for you to share you tape drive to another host or server.

Other backup software such as Netvault from bakbone provides SCSI shared devices. They called this DSD or dynamically shared Devices. But this can be done completely for two servers only.

Tapeware also provided similar feature but it is more on network based licensing. Meaning, you need to purchase 2 or more Tapeware licenses agents (i.e. Master server, Client or Media server)for you to utilized your tape device as shared storage.

Cheers!

Allan
"You should be working"
Nilton Eliot Medina Ygr
Occasional Advisor

Re: how to share a tape drive

Thanks Allan, so what should I do now, I was checking some stuff about my problem and found out that I can use the fbackup command ... would it be helpful??? how???