108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hp_ltt firmware downgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Berendsen
Regular Advisor

hp_ltt firmware downgrade

I am trying to use hp_ltt to do a firmware downgrade on a dlt8000. I received a password from HP for this downgrade, but I can't find anywhere in this tool asking for a password. Also, it doesn't seem to see the V59 firmware I have out there to downgrade to.

Does anyone know the procedure for doing a firmware downgrade using hp_ltt?
7 REPLIES 7
Owen Campbell
Occasional Advisor

Re: hp_ltt firmware downgrade

Hi Jason,

This feature in LTT is only available to authorised HP Engineers, and can only be enabled and performed by HP Engineers. I would contact HP to attend your site and downgrade your firmware for you.

Regards
Owen
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

I guess you want to downgrade from V80?
To be able to do it you need 2 things: override password (you have it) and firmware file (you do not have it). To get this firmware file, start LTT, click 'file', then 'get files from the web...', and then in opened window you'll see 'firmware' tab. Click on it and find and select V59 (QUANTUM DLT8000 V059/OMX105, I guess this one you need). Click download button. Then you'll be able to select drive and when choosing firmware file see this V059 version.
Although you'll be able to download firmware file this way only if your machine can access HP ftp site. If not, then install LTT onto PC which can access and then simply copy to machine which has this drive attached. You will not find V059 on the HP web... only V80
Eugeny
Jason Berendsen
Regular Advisor

Eugeny,

I have LTT_DLT8000_V059_OMX105.frm residing in the /opt/ltt/firmware directory. I choose options within hp_ltt and enter the HP provided password. I then type firmware to get to the firmware upgrade screen. At this point I get an error message stating:
There is no matching firmware file for this device, it cannot be selected. It shows the current revision V080. How do I make this tool see the V059 I have in /opt/ltt/firmware?
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Please generate support ticket for the drive. Look at the personality value. To flash OMX105 drive should have OMX105 personality.
If you wish attach support ticket zipped and I will take a look
Eugeny
Eric Peters_1

You are almost there.

If you've entered the password already, then you need to enable firmware downgrading on the firmware screen. When you enter the screen, type "options" again and you will be presented with firmware options. One of them is to allow downgrading. Set that option and when you exit out of the options screen, your file will be selectable.

This assumes that you have the correct personality firmware. If the firmware you put into /opt/ltt/firmware isn't the correct personality, then it still won't be selectable and you'll need to run a support ticket to find out what personality firmware to get (as someone above already mentioned).

I hope this helps,

Eric
Ernie De Guzman
Advisor

I know that this is an old message thread and it has been solved a long time ago but I need to repost it. I have the same problem. I got a replacement DLT 8000 with a firmware V80 on it and it took forever to finish our backups. I was wondering if somebody can email me the firmware for version 59 as I could not find anything from the HP site. Thanks.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

If you are using LTT (the only other option is HP-UX STM), then use the "Files -> Get files from web"

The firmware files are also in bundles under the particular product's "download software and drivers" section on the web.

Lastly, you can find them here:
ftp://www.hp.com/pub/information_storage/software/ltt/firmware/

You will need to call HP for a downgrade password (or you [only] can email ltt_team@hp.com).

All that said, I doubt that V59 will perform better than V80 (or V86 - the latest).

If you can generate an LTT support ticket for the drive, and post it here, we can review it.

Make sure you are using large block sizes (64K or better), as newer DLT firmware seems to be a bit worse on small block sizes.
The journey IS the reward.