5430 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mailslot operation...

rasto danis
Valued Contributor

mailslot operation...

hello
our customer bought HP SureStore DLT 2/20 library and we need to know some things about it:
- is it possible to move tapes to mailslot via remote management console (web) ? or it's just for information ?
- is it possible to move tape from slot to mailslot directly (not like: slot->drive, drive->mailslot) ?
6 REPLIES 6
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

My answer (being a software guy) is 'depends on the hardware'

I don't know of a web interface.

At HPUX what you probably want is MC.

If you have purchased Omniback, I know UMA offers this MOVE functionality for many libraries.

Take a look at this link.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xe5c3854994d9d4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

Good luck.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
rasto danis
Valued Contributor

sorry, i forgot to mention, that they have NT cell manager - omb 3.5 patch 00015 (library is also connected to this machine).. no UNIX there ;(
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Hello Danis,

The Remote Mamangement Card will not allow you to move tapes from storage slot positions to the mailsot(s). The RMC card will let you configure and test the functionality of the unit though.

As to the software: Omniback is able to move cartridges from slots to the import/export slots but it is a functionality you need to configure. A joseph said in his response, you can use UMA from the NT command-line to move cartridges around in the library.

best regards,

Cal.
rasto danis
Valued Contributor

ok, thanks - i looked on that uma command, but i haven't found how to specify ioctl (path for devicefile) parameter on NT machine ..
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

Use devbra (a hideous command) our device browser to get some details about the library - or cheat by looking at the information that Omniback (hopefully) auto- configures...

ignore all of the 1 and -1 stuff. The tape drive address will probably look like this.

SCSI3:0:4:0C (the C means use compression)
SCSI1:0:3:0N (N - NO compression)

Not obvious to the owner of a small library - we differentiate between the library and the tape drive. They will have different addresses on the SCSI buss. Where they use the same SCSI target ID, they will use a different logical unit number.

For a small library the SCSI ID of the ROBOT is probably the same as the (only) tape drive. The last digit, the LUN (Logical Unit Number) differs.

UMA -IOCTL SCSI3:0:2:1

Where the scsi controller is NT scsi controller number 3 here, and the scsi address is 2, the LUN 1.

For a larger library, the robot usually gets its own scsi address, and so the last digit will be zero.

UMA -IOCTL SCSI3:0:2:0

Good Luck.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Jay Scheiner
Advisor

To answer the 2nd part of the question- we just purchased a 2/20 Ultrium, so if it works the same on the DLT version, you can move from mail slot straight to tape slot, at least by using the LCD-based controls at the library itself. I missed in the first few times, but if you use the +/- to go through the list of tape slots, you will see the mail slot in there.