108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

msl6060, San switch 2/16N ff, HP-UX 11i server

SOLVED
Go to solution
otukile
Frequent Advisor

msl6060, San switch 2/16N ff, HP-UX 11i server

I have an Rp4440 HPUX server with schgr, sctl, stape, spt drivers configured. The server is connected to a fiber MSL6060 library with 2 drives through a HP SAN switch 2/16N full fabric switch. I do an ioscan and I dont see any part of the library.

I would be gratefull if someone can someone take me through the steps of getting to see the library through the switch. Or what am I doing wrong?

Ot
Don't panic
12 REPLIES 12
aliasgar
Valued Contributor

Re: msl6060, San switch 2/16N ff, HP-UX 11i server

Hi Outkile,

You have to do mapping in your msl library,please find the link below for your reference.

http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg29075/lpg29075.pdf

Thanks/Regards,
Aliasgar.

aliasgar
otukile
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the doc. It was realy informative. I have 2 problems:

1. When trying to do cossover cable to the ethernet port, I get no response from the port. I tried changing the default netmask from class c to all other classes but to no use.

2. Connecting through the serial port(using the varuous specified settings), we get a reponse but its gibbirish/unreadable. We have tried different cables and different emulations on the Hyperteminal, also no change.

Could be the card that was not correctly factory configured? Has anybody had this experience before?

The next thing we were thinking of trying was to use LTT tool. In the manual it doesnt say which port use (the NSR port or controler card port). Please help on this one.

Ot
Don't panic
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

Ok, let's see your two questions.

The NSR is normally shipped with the ethernet port set in DHCP mode or IP address 1.1.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0
Try one of these two method to connect to the NSR via ethernet.

If you want to connect with serial port, make sure your terminal emulator program is set to baud 115200 8 bit no parity 1 stop bit XON/XOFF

Let us know
Claudio Ruzza
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

In addition to my previous post, LTT is NOT used to configure your NSR.
LTT mainly do monitoring and test on a Tape library with drives previously configured and visible from the host.
In your case, LTT will work thru FC connection only after you'll have successfully configured your NSR and performed an ioscan on your HP-UX servers.

If you have any trouble configuring NSR and creating maps just drop a post here.

Claudio Ruzza
otukile
Frequent Advisor

1. I have done all those connection methods. That is why I am asking if it is possible that HP can ship a not properly configured card.

2. With regard to LLT, are you saying that I cannot just run the LTT diagnostic on the library by using crossover ethernet cable to the library that is not connected to anything? More like in a stand alone state. We have done LTT on galactica that was not connected to anything using the ethernet port on the controller board.

Don't panic
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor
Solution

1. Hmmm, if all your connection tries to the NSR have failed I start thinking your NSR is dead... Is any LED on the back of NSR lit? Is the LED of the NSR's FC port blinking when connected to a SAN switch?

2. AFAIK is not possible to use LTT via ethernet port. LTT normally works via SCSI or FC. Are you sure you were using LTT for your galactica library and not the Galactica's web interface?

Going back to your NSR, once cheched if your board give any life signal (=any LED on), check in your FC switch if the port where the NSR is connected detects any WWN.

Claudio Ruzza
otukile
Frequent Advisor

1. The LED on the card all seem to work just fine as far as I could see. You pluck in the FC cable and the light goes on. You pluck in the SCSI cables and the LED light up for a while then go off as there is no activity to the drive. If you do a ping to the card, it blinks in sync to the ping packets sent by the laptop. It seem the card functionality is OK but only the default access configuration is not up to specs on the manual. Could it be possible that they did not configure it properly? If so can you restore to factory defaults somehow?!!! :(

2. With regards to LTT, I am wrong. Pardon me for that.
Don't panic
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

You can ping the NSR??? Good! What IP address?

Have you tried to point your web browser to that address?
Have you tried to telnet/ftp that ip address (user=root, pswd=password)?

If you want to reset your NSR to factory settings you need to be connected at least with serial or web interface, and find the appropriate command.

Claudio
otukile
Frequent Advisor

What I mean is the led on the ethernet port blinks to show that it receives packets from the laptop thorugh the crossover cable. But because of the network configurations, the NSR is not responding. Therefore no ping, telnet etc works through the port.
Don't panic