StoreEver Tape Storage
1752646 Members
5715 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

msl8096/lto5/qla2xxx drives losing connection the RHEL 5 server

MadTown David

msl8096/lto5/qla2xxx drives losing connection the RHEL 5 server

Since upgrading qla2xxx fiber channel drivers from the rhel5 supplied driver to the current qlogic driver, my lto5 tape drives lose contact with the server as soon as I try to mount a tape. From the OS, I see:

# mt -f /dev/st0 status
/dev/st0: Input/output error

...and all subsequent activity fails. However, if I delete the device, and re-create it:

# echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_tape/st0/device/delete
# scsi-rescan

...the device comes back ("mt status" responds with drive info), but only until I try another operation on it, when it gets lost again.

The library was operating fine for months before I upgraded to the qla2xxx driver to address some EVA8100 communication issues.

If it makes any difference, I'm running EMC Networker backup software, Scientific Linux 5.5 (all patches), and qla2xxx version 8.03.03.15.05.06-k.

Anyone seen this? I'm guessing some configuration I need, but my google-foo has been able to find a solution.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
John Liversidge
Occasional Visitor

Re: msl8096/lto5/qla2xxx drives losing connection the RHEL 5 server

Have a look on SPOCK and see which firmware version the HBA needs for your updated driver. You may have moved to an unsupported combination. You'll need the HBA model number.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Re: msl8096/lto5/qla2xxx drives losing connection the RHEL 5 server

I would have to second the other posted response for the first thing I would try. Check that the HBA firmware revision matches the revision recommended for the driver. With QLogic I have found that it is best to match the driver and controller firmware revisions.