StoreEver Tape Storage
1752809 Members
6212 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

need windows server 2008 r2 x64 drivers for msl6000 library

need windows server 2008 r2 x64 drivers for msl6000 library

installed by default is "unknown medium changer" which references NO driver, Automatic or manual update – returns ‘the best software for your device is already installed”

current driver cp010945.exe indicates both the lib and tape drivers are up to date. but in computer management the library remains ‘unknown medium changer’

I’ve downloaded the most recent drivers. .inf install method doesn't work. (right click install, returns "the INF file you selected does not support this method of installation"

If I do a ‘add legacy hardware’ using windows device manager I get “the folder you specified doesn’t contain a compatible software driver for your device….”

looks like this is a specific server R2 issue. as forum members here have indicated they got window 2008 x64 working.

TIA
5 REPLIES 5
Ganz
Trusted Contributor

Re: need windows server 2008 r2 x64 drivers for msl6000 library

Hello Bruce,

I would suggest that you install the drivers from the following link ::
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/tape/smartcomp/hpstoragework
stapedrivers.zip

This utility will automatically install the SCSI, SAS and USB drivers for HP StorageWorks Ultrium and DAT tape drives, tape autoloaders, and tape libraries for systems running Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Microsoft Windows XP, and Microsoft Windows Vista.

If you are using a third party backup application then you would ideally be using the driver provided by the software vendor. But if you intend to use HP Data Protector express or HP Data Protector then you may install the driver from the link provided.

Thanks Ganz,

Those drivers don't support the MSL6000 libraries. I ran it anyway and it did't fix anything. (it only supports
Tape Libraries
HP StorageWorks MSL8096/4048/2024 Tape Library
and
Autoloaders
HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader
HP StorageWorks DAT 72x10 Tape Autoloader
Efrain Valencia
Valued Contributor

Hello Bruce,

I would say this is perfectly normal, as there is usually no need for Medium Changer drivers, and it is normal to see the changer detected as "Unknown Medium Changer".

Your backup application usually provide it's own routines to speak to the changers and hence a specific driver is not used.

It also would help to know if your application relies on the manufacturer drivers, which (again) is not true for most cases.

Regards,

the application is MS System Center Data protection manager. on windows 2008 r2 (so 64bit) SCDPM does depend on the equipment manufacturer for drivers to install in the OS. the x64 drivers for windows 2003 should work but do not. I get "the folder you specified doesnâ t contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with windows for x64-based systems."

well it took some experimenting but...
from device manager/right click on whatever name is being displayed for the medium changer / browse my computer for driver software / choose let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer / UNCHECK show compatible hardware / I choose Overland-Neo seems to be working. NOTE: you may have to 'install' these drivers before theyâ ll show up here.

you may also have to disable the signature requirement: (from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379511(WS.10).aspx )

1.Restart the computer and during startup, press F8.
2.Select Advanced Boot Options.
3.Select Disable Driver Signature Enforcement.

For more information, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=66577.