1751713 Members
5311 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "Error! Adapter malfunctioning" And timeouts of SCSI bus

AnDublin
Occasional Advisor

"Error! Adapter malfunctioning" And timeouts of SCSI bus

Autoloader 1/8 Ultrium connected to DL380 G4 by HP Single-channel U320 G2 board.
Frequent message on bootup "Error! Adapter malfunctioning".
Restart of bootup is needed.

Frequent failure on bootup to detect autoloader. Restart of bootup is needed.

When bootup is error-free, tape will work for a little time under tape tools or backup exec, then appear offline on scsi bus.
Autoloader has to be power cycled, and server rebooted.
I've tried this card and autoloader with different cable, and different server DL320 G3, different OS.
Anyone with the same experience?
14 REPLIES 14
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

AnDublin
Occasional Advisor

Yes, all relevant drivers and firmware were updated as part of the troubleshooting.
Not relevant: SmartArray controller firmware as shipped were v2.34 and 2.36, so these have also been updated now, 2.58
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Did you verify if the SCSI bus is correctly terminated?
AnDublin
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I installed the terminator and cable that came in the box with the autoloader.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Can you provide the specific 1/8 Ultrium model (e.g. 230, 232, 448, 460, or 960)?

Also, what is the specific model/part number for the U320 adapter? Is this a built-in/embedded adapter, or a PCI card?
The journey IS the reward.
AnDublin
Occasional Advisor

Ultrium 960 (Ultrium 3)Autoloader 1/8 connected to add-in board HP Order Code
374654-B21. A label on the board has "LSI20320C-HP 03-00066-01B" All firmware, drivers, current as of last week.
The DL380 has embedded SmartArray 6i and add-in SmartArray 6402/128.
IS ther an alternative board to use?
Thanks,
Alan.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the adapter details:

From the HP EBS compatability matrix (www.hp.com/go/ebs), the supported HBAs include:

374654-B21 Ultra320, LVD, Single Channel, VHDCI (4)
(4) Autoloader support only

So the HBA you list is in fact supported.

The problem is either something in the SCSI chain (i.e. cable, terminator, autoloader), or the HBA itself which the error message does suggest.

I'd verify the cable is of the correct type (i.e. mutlimode SCSI) and the terminator is U320 compatable.

Can you try other cables/terminators? Can you attach a different U320 device to test?

The smart array controllers you mention will not work with this device, as they are not tested and do not support LUN mode (to communicate to the robotics).
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the adapter details:

From the HP EBS compatability matrix (www.hp.com/go/ebs), the supported HBAs include:

374654-B21 Ultra320, LVD, Single Channel, VHDCI (4)
(4) Autoloader support only

So the HBA you list is in fact supported.

The problem is either something in the SCSI chain (i.e. cable, terminator, autoloader), or the HBA itself which the error message does suggest.

I'd verify the cable is of the correct type (i.e. mutlimode SCSI) and the terminator is U320 compatable.

Can you try other cables/terminators? Can you attach a different U320 device to test?

> IS ther an alternative board to use?

The smart array controllers you mention will not work with this device, as they are not tested and do not support LUN mode (to communicate to the robotics).

You can look at the EBS matrix for other supported HBAs, but there's no reason the current one shouldn't work (if it's not defective).
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

I forgot you had included some troubleshooting steps already:

> I've tried this card and autoloader with different cable, and different server DL320 G3, different OS.

Not ruled out are the HBA itself, the terminator, and the autoloader.

If you could try another U320 device on this HBA, or try a different HBA with the device, that would help in isolating it.