1748279 Members
4189 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "Error! Adapter malfunctioning" And timeouts of SCSI bus

AnDublin
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for that confirmation. These are my first U320 devices, I've no other external device to test.

The SCSI cable and Terminator are the ones shipped in the same box as the autoloader, so I have to assume they're correct and working, though they're not marked as multimode or u320. (Bold HP)
I've put in a warranty call to HP. (case 1209595652)

Curiously, they're going to replace the autoloader but not the scsi adapter. I'm not convinced their diagnosis is correct . . .
Thanks for your assistance.
tsuter

I have a DL380 G4 as well. I have the aforementioned card - LSI20320c-hp, HP Part #: 375011-001. I am trying to use it with an external tape drive, HP's Ultrium 1 external scsi tape drive.

I too have this issue with the "ERROR: Adapter Malfunctioning." Upon first installing the card in the proper slot, the card is detected in the POST with no errors, and also in the OS after the card comes up to the desktop. However, after a reboot, the POST throws the "ERROR: Adapter Malfunctioning." and is not detected in the OS. I have requested tech support from HP and they suggested different IRQ's, updating firmware, etc. They sent a new riser cage which also hasn't worked. I don't believe it has anything to do with the external hardware at all (since I installed only the card and didn't hook up the external tape drive). I also had two of these cards to test with (both brand new). Both threw the same POST error after reboot.

So, yes, I have the same experience as you and would very much like to find a solution.
patricio stegmann

Exactly same problem, adapter LSI lsi20320c.
Changed pci slot, same problem.
this happens, then you reboot and goes away, then reboot and comes back etc... always.
Did someone had luck ?
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

this is a perculiar issue...

Just to confirm, you are not using the smart array6i for the LTO 960 1/8 right?

It does need to use an HBA PCI if possible.

If you are using the PCI card recommended on the compatibility listing... check the PCI slot it is in... some of the proliant servers have numerous PCI slots and it coudl be the wrong mhz slot.
tsuter

Just to let you know, it is necessary to update the firmware on the LSI SCSI Card to get rid of the error. This worked in my case. Look up the firmware revision for the LSI card to download from HP's site.