Tape Libraries and Drives
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replaced tape drive now back uptakes 40 hours

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

replaced tape drive now back uptakes 40 hours

I recently had a tape drive, 35/70 dlt replaced in my proliant 7000 novell server running arcserve.before back ups would take 5-7 hours now they are taking 40 hours tape thru-put is at 11 meg/minute(specs at36 gig/hr) way below where it should be no configuration changes have been made.any ideas????
5 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: replaced tape drive now back uptakes 40 hours

Your not alone! I have experienced this problem for the last couple of months, but unfortunately it keeps being put on the back burner. I have tried almost everything I can think of to get this working, the DLT ROM image is now 2261 (the latest, I think), all drivers and service packs are installed. It just doesnt want to work under NW4.11 and arcserve 6.x..... Compaq PLEASE HELP!!!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: replaced tape drive now back uptakes 40 hours

I have had a breakthrough on this now, and my throughput levels have reached where I expected them to be (120Mb a Min). In the Tapesrv.cfg, you need to change some minor setting to get the best out of it. Here it is:

[NLM]
NLM1=STANDARD GROUP-ARCSERVE BOARD-BOARD0 buffer-30

[CONFIG]
BLOCKSIZE=5
rshots=14
wshots=14

This should improve your backups considerably.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: replaced tape drive now back uptakes 40 hours

rshots and wshots work like a throtlle, usually lowering will work better, are you using canwpa, that is the only way netware or arcserve support. The canwpa alows the aspi layer driver to not be interrupted by anything else. The issue is either on netwre or computer ass, website.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: replaced tape drive now back uptakes 40 hours

We had the same problem, but if not taken care of it gets worse and brings your server down alot. Your Arcserve Database is corrupt! What you need to do is rem out the astart6, bring server down, bring it backup with out Arcserve running, rename the Database directory. Re-intall Arcserve, remove the Rem for astart6, Down the server and bring it back up, everything should work great now....
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: replaced tape drive now back uptakes 40 hours

mickyspence is spot on here . Just add the lines below and zzzooooomm i got 150Mb/Min compared to 11Mb/Min before !!!

[NLM] NLM1=STANDARD GROUP-ARCSERVE BOARD-BOARD0 buffer-30

[CONFIG] BLOCKSIZE=5 rshots=14 wshots=14