StoreEver Tape Storage
1753769 Members
5210 Online
54796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

storageworks 1/8 autoloader ultrium LTO 1 - stuck tape

tolson

storageworks 1/8 autoloader ultrium LTO 1 - stuck tape

I have a tape stuck in the unit and I am hoping to get it out without opening the unit.
I've tried rebooting, reboot holding eject tape button down. If I need to open the unit, is it an easy removal process? What if it happens again with the next tape, does the whole unit need to be replaced, or just the drive?
2 REPLIES 2
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

Re: storageworks 1/8 autoloader ultrium LTO 1 - stuck tape

tolson,

please read the following articel and investigate wheater the taoe stucks in the loader mech. or in the drive

HP Surestore/StorageWorks Tape Autoloader Model 1/8 - Removing Stuck Cartridges
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=lpg75115&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Re: storageworks 1/8 autoloader ultrium LTO 1 - stuck tape

Do you recall whether what error codes were reported by the 1/8 autoloader?

There are two main possibilities with a tape left in the drive. It may be that it is not ejecting at all (due to a problem with the tape, the drive, or a software issued "prevent media removal" command), or the tape may be ejecting but the autoloader gripper is unable to pull it out. That latter condition can occur if the tapes are dusty, or if the gripper pads in the picker have accumulated dust or other contamination.

Let me know what error code you see in the front panel. You can also go to the front panel and view the error log history if the error message has been cleared.
The journey IS the reward.