108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: surestore dlt Vs80

SOLVED
Go to solution
Raymond BIANCONE
Occasional Advisor

surestore dlt Vs80

We invest three years ago in an external Surestore dlt vs80 SCSI tape drive. We are today in trouble with this device. When we insert a tape the device "seems to initialize" then reject the tape. We have tried with each tape of our set of tapes and with the cleaning tape. By using the HP diagnostics it seems that the problem is a hardware or mechanical problem with the device. The device is now out of warranty. In such a situation of course our vendor propose to change the device rather than to repair.
I am surprised by the short lifetime of such a device and when we have done our choice we expect of course a longer use for it.
Now our vendor propose a storageworks dat 72 external SCSI or another surestore dlt vs80. Our storage needs are about a modest 2 GB per day. So i think that a dat 72 is enough.
I know that these devices could be connected via a USB port.
My questions :
Transfert rate between dat 72 or dlt vs 80 connected with SCSI and with USB ??

Have I to change our SCSI-2 port ??

Tank's for some advices.

9 REPLIES 9
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

hi there,

here you'll find the recommended HBAs for Tape Products

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50063

and here you'll get an compatibility matrix for Tape Produtcs

http://www.hp.com/go/connect

Please also flash your Drive (DLT VS80) again with the latest Firmware and reset the drive by pressing 6sec on the eject button!

If this doesn't works, disconnect the drive from SCSI Bus and check if the tape could be insert.

Otherwise check if the drive has a dropped leader, you can fix this issue by your own, if the leader isn't damage (otherwise you can order spares at Quantum)

Performance
DAT72: Up to 3 MB/s native data transfer rate -- 6 MB/s with 2:1 compression

DLT VS80:3 MB/s (up to 6 MB/s with 2:1 compression)

Cheers
Michael
Raymond BIANCONE
Occasional Advisor

Thank's Michael
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Can you collect a sticket from LTT and attach it here, may be we can see what is the problem
Raymond BIANCONE
Occasional Advisor

Hi Marino,

first of all thank's for you reply.

I joined three stickets generated at three points in diagnosis.

First sticket (sticket_header_1.ltt): initial status without tape
Second sticket (sticket_header_2.ltt): after have been trying to load a tape
Third sticket (sticket_header_3.ltt): after immediate reject of the tape.

Thank's again
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Raymond,

I got just one ticket, and if have the error log filled by the "cannot read the medium "error
I would like to see the other two.

The error "cannot read the medium" mean that the drive is not able to read the header of the tape. There is some incompatibility between tapes format, and if for example your tape has been used in a DLT8000 you will not be able to use it in your VS80 anymore.
My suggestion is to try with a brand new tape, and if it fail with that new tape too, probably the problem is on the Head of the drive. It amy be defective, and you cannot do anything else, or it may be durty, and then try with a non expired cleaning tape.(not supported,but may help if Out Of Warranty, is to try to clean it with apporpriate cleaning products (like for videorecorder)
marino
Raymond BIANCONE
Occasional Advisor

Hi Marino,

The tapes we are using in our driver have always been used with this drive.
I send the second log.
Raymond BIANCONE
Occasional Advisor

I send the third log.

Thank's a lot.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Unfortunately the event log, do not show any usable information, just the same "cannot read media", so my previous suggestions are the only I can make, after that it's time to go for a new one.

Only a last try, you can try to flash again the FW with the same or previous version and see if something change, and use a new tape, that's all

marino
Raymond BIANCONE
Occasional Advisor

Thank's a lot Marino