1753665 Members
5635 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tape accidentally erased...

chris lee_5
Occasional Contributor

tape accidentally erased...

I am using the Ultrium LTO 1 (100/200GB)tape, i have accidentally erased one tape by using Arcserve2000, any clue to recover it back? Thanks a lot for help!
5 REPLIES 5
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

What do you mean by erasing?

If you have written other data over it, the contents are lost.

If you only deleted the tape within Arcserve itself, it should be able to import the tape again so that you can access the data on it again.

best regards,
Kurt
chris lee_5
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kurt. I have checked the option "Quick Erase Plus - destroy label and serial #" and now as a blank tape. Could you give me more hints how can i import/recover it back? Thanks
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Chris,
Do u maintain multiple storage pools of the data that you deleted.

If you do, then could use MOVE DATA (or similar command that moves/copies data from one Storage pool to another) to rebuild the tape that you accidentally deleted?

But the key here is how many copies of that data do u have ?

regards
Mobeen
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

This is from the Admin Guide:

A Quick Erase takes less time than a Long Erase because it only overwrites the current media label. Although, technically, there is still data on the media, the data is effectively gone without the media label. Quick Erase is useful if you want to re-use ARCserve├в s media, but you don├в t have time to wait for a Long Erase. Like Quick Erase, Quick Erase Plus erases the current media label. In addition, Quick Erase Plus also erases the serial number, so that you can assign a new serial number to the media.

So the data is lost and cannot be recovered. Start a new backup to have again data on the tape, but the original contents are lost forever.

best regards,
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

If you *really* need it, there are companies that will recover the data for you. It is rather expensive, though.

Josh
What are the chances...