108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tape drive won't release tape unless powered off

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Vollmers
Esteemed Contributor

tape drive won't release tape unless powered off

Hi, all. I've got a Dat24 DDS-3 external drive that we use for backups. we run cleaning tapes on it daily. This drive was just replaced a few weeks ago, so it is pretty new. I've noticed about four times that, at some point, the drive light goes off. It has happened two times before backup (I believe) and twice when I was using the drive during the day. the tape is still in the drive, but there is no way to eject it. I have to unplug the drive and plug it back in, and then the light comes back on and I can remove the tape. I'm not sure exactly what is causing this or if it is a serious issue. HP has been good about replacing bum drives for me, but I'd hate to call them up twice in one month if there is something that I'm doing. Anyone seen this before? Thanks.

Mark
"We apologize for the inconvience" -God's last message to all creation, from Douglas Adams "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish"
3 REPLIES 3
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

It's either a power supply problem of the tape drive or a power problem. I would assume the power source received to the tape drive is steady but you never know. It could also be a switch problem, putting the tape drive off for some reason.

Actually it's a weird problem, seems like your drive is losing power for some reason. I'd call HP and make them have a look. Yeah, it's frustrating that HP are called twice in a month, but that's life.

P.S. Why are you cleaning the tape drive daily? Cleaning it too much is no good for the head. Clean the drive only when it requests so.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Also try to replace the power cord of your tape drive. Maybe it's faulty.

Check the power connection for any loose contact.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Mark Vollmers
Esteemed Contributor

Vincent-

we were having problems with backups failing, and went to cleaning more to try to fix them. Of course, the drive had to be replaced later, so I suppose I could back that off to once a week or so. I guess I just forgot. Thanks.

Mark
"We apologize for the inconvience" -God's last message to all creation, from Douglas Adams "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish"