5522 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: unable to eject ultrium tape

John_912
Occasional Advisor

unable to eject ultrium tape

Dear all,
I am facing problems, I cannot eject a tape from an ULTRIUM 1. Do you have any ideas what to try?
Thank you in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Have you turned off and then again on your drive yet? Optionaly remove also your scsi cable.
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

what are you getting for,

mt -f /dev/rmt/ status

How did you try to eject?

-Muthu
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
John_912
Occasional Advisor

The output of the command is:
Drive:HP Ultrium 1-SCSI
Format:
File:0
Block 628473

I have tried to eject it with the eject button on the tape drive.
I did not power off the drive nor remove the SCSI because another ultrium tape drive is connected with the same SCSI chain.
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

For a good throughput speed during backup, it is advisable to connect each tape drive to a dedicated controller
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

I think I had a similar (and never understood since I wasn't at site when happened) situation and I had to turn off/on the drive...

Best Regards,

Eric
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Recent version(s) of L&TT (www.hp.com/support/tapetools) includes a stuck tape test for Ultrium drives.

You should also run the LTO drive assessment test to check for other problems.

Lastly, there's troubleshooting documentation on the web that you can use for Ultrium issues, and "stuck tape" is right at the top.

Look here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00039807
The journey IS the reward.
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

This issue is generally due to faulty media as well.

What does the software ejject do

#mt -t /dev/rmt/0mn offl

Even now if it does not ejject this then possibally the media is stucked in mechanism and can not be ejected without opening the drive.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You can try holding the eject button down for 10-20 seconds. If that doesn't work and the mt offline command doesn't work, the tape is most likely wrapped around the capstan and it cannot be removed without disassembly. Note also that if this is the case, the jammed tape may have caused some damage or misalignment to occur so the drive should be replaced or risk creating tapes that cannot be read on other tape drives.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

The stuck tape test in LTT will check for specific fault codes in the drive related to the type of problems Bill mentioned, and let you know if the drive/tape is in an unrecoverable state.
The journey IS the reward.