108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

unknown medium changer

SOLVED
Go to solution
racmaster
Occasional Contributor

unknown medium changer

i cannot use the autochanger on HP Storageworks MSL2024 tape library. under the device manager it is recognized as 2 devices

1st device: Tape drives - HP LTO Ultrium-2 drive

2nd device: Medium changer - Unknown medium changer.

when i try to look for driver update, there is nothing found. on hp drivers page for the MSL2024 i can find 3 packages. one for LTT utility, one for firmware and one for uninstalling. i have succesfully installed the newest firmware few days ago, restarted both, storage device and whole server too. medium changer is still not recognized and cannot be used in Legato backup utility...

autochanger is enabled manually on the tape library, during the boot it is recognized under the scsi controller, tape library has LUN 0, the changer has LUN 1.

how can i make it working properly.
13 REPLIES 13
rariasn
Honored Contributor

Re: unknown medium changer

Hi racmaster,

. configure "schgr" driver parameter in kernel (reboot).

- Sample ioscan "output" afther this change:

anaya:/stand#ioscan -fnC autoch
Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
=========================================================================
autoch 1 0/10/0/0.98.14.255.1.3.0 schgr CLAIMED DEVICE HP M
SL6000 Series
/dev/rac/c15t3d0
autoch 0 0/12/0/0.33.30.255.1.3.0 schgr CLAIMED DEVICE HP M
SL6000 Series
/dev/rac/c8t3d0

rgs,

ran
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

hi;

acc. to your attachment, the changer is connected to windows machine. i also see changer as unknown media changer in our server. but legato works. can it be that you didn't run jbconfig from command line ?
Computers have lots of memory but no imagination
racmaster
Occasional Contributor

im sorry rariasn, server runs under win2003 standard edition... your reply looks like from linux...
rariasn
Honored Contributor

sorry,

maybe again,

ran
racmaster
Occasional Contributor

hi kenan,

i didn't run jbconfig from command line. i came to server with the tape allready installed like i wrote before. im unable to find out what was allready done about the tape before...

when i try to enable autochanger in legato, i get the error message shown in this attachment.

do u have an idea how to continue from this point?
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

hi;

in device manager only one tape driver is shown. i don't know how many drives acctually you have. if two you have hardware problems because of scsi connections maybe.

# inquire command list you scsi devices.you can run this command.

if you have one drive really and legato gives an error about missing drive, in legato administrator delete the autochanger and reconfigure it.
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

racmaster, is there any changes ?
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Can you please load a copy of "HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools" and then pull a support ticket, zip the results, and post them here or mail to ltt_team@hp.com and ask that the ticket be sent to Curtis Ballard?

What kind of MSL2024 do you have? The library can have 2 drives or 1 drive when running LTO 2. I'm assuming you only have one drive installed from your message. For some reason Legato thinks you have 2 drives so we need to figure out why.

Could you please run "Restore Defaults" from the web interface and see if that resolves the issue?
racmaster
Occasional Contributor

hi curtis, i sent the requested email to the specified adress as u wanted.